Ford Focus

H

Hunterswood

Hi,

I'm looking into buying a focus shortly. Looking at a five door hatchback, 2000 or 2001.

Is there much difference between the 1.4 and 1.6 LX?

Anything else I should watch out for?

Re: ..

Thanks. I've been looking at those sites for a while now. I'd really like some first hand info though from focus owners if there's any out there. Is the 1.6 a better car all round? Does the Focus need the extra poke?

The 1.4 is a little underpowered, apparent when you try overtaking the first couple times. (English reviews described the 1.4 as a runabout). It'll be something you'd get used to, I have anyway.

Apart from that its a good car, reliable and cheap to service. Comfortable and excellent handling.

A problem you'd find if you go looking for a 1.6 hatchback is that there are few sold in Ireland, as in the small-size car market buyers will traditionally pick the 1.4 as the motor tax is lower. Most second hand 1.6 focuses (focii?) will be ex-company car ghia, 4 door, booted versions. If you do find a 1.6 hatchback though you should expect it to be cheaper than a similar 1.4, due to the smaller demand - that's what the garages told me anyway.

Have a 1.4 LX for 3 yrs from new. Very happy with it all round and never a moments bother. As AShambles says it's cheap to service (even main dealer!) and handles well.

It can be a bit sluggish with a full load but I'm driving in the city most of the time so not an issue.

When I was buying I considered the 1.6 but the salesman talked me out of it. He told me not worth the extra money, poorer resale value because of less demand for a 1.6

I'll have no hesitation in going for another 1.4.

Thanks for the replies guys. I'm a bit confused now about the 1.4 vs 1.6.
I don't like the sound of the sluggishness of the 1.4 or the demand for the 1.6. But I have seen a few 1.6's on sale in Ireland today that come in at the same price as the 1.4's.

From talking to a dealer this morning there's no difference in the spec other than the engine size.

Thanks for your input though. Is the zetec a much better engine does anyone know? I presume there's a 5dr hatch version?

Y'know what...there's just too much choice with the damn thing. That's the problem. Give a man too much choice and he's lost!

focus

As far as i know the zetec refers primarily to the engine technology used on the focus pertrol engines. They are all zetec. But due to the sporty nature of the word zetec - ford called their 3 door hatch the Zetec and gave it alloy wheels and a few other sporty touches.

I had a 1.6 5-door focus and found it excellent. Very reliable and excellent to drive. I would say that it needed the extra poke for overtaking (the less time you spend on the other side of the road the better) Unless you are mainly city driving I would go for the 1.6. Fuel economy is just as good as the 1.4. During negotiations you can always turn the argument around and tell the dealer that the 1.6 is worth less than the 1.4 due the reduced demand.

I would not worry about getting less money for it when you go to sell. The car (if 2000) is 5yrs old now so if you are changing again in 3 yrs time the car will not be worth a whole lot no matter what the engine size. There is a very limited market for cars of that age. Furthermore I think the second hand market will go south again at SSIA time, due to all the people who bought 00 cars upgrading.

Re: focus

Great stuff soy. Thanks. I mainly city drive to be honest but I drive on motorways a bit and the odd country run is not unheard of. 1.6 it is.

I have a 1.6 focus since 2000. I went for the 1.6 on the basis that I nearly killed myself and all of my family while tyring to overtake in a 1.4 citroen a short time before. It is not a rocket but it is a brilliant car, I love it. Not had a tweak of bother with it over 50k miles and I plan to drive it to the ground. I test drove the 1.4, but was prepared to pay the extra bit for the 1.6 (which you will not get back).

Nothing at all to do with 1.4 Vs 1.6 but worth bearing in mind for Focus drivers.

Be conscious of having your driver's window open when stationary. A undesirable character can open the boot with the push button on the dash allowing his accomplice to relieve you of your property.

Doesn't happen often but worth bearing in mind next time the sun is beating down and you're cruising around the city!

If you're buying a 1.6 from 2000 or 2001, it will most likelyy be the Ghia model. The LX, in a 1.6 option, didn't come out until 2002 (AFAIK).

I've owned both the 1.4 and 1.6 versions and having switched to the latter would never go back to the former - a far superior car.

Focus 1.6

I would recommend a 1.6 ,foci need the extra power on overtaking. Recommend the car no problem though I have had my fair share of minor problems ,ignition coil ,dodgy speedo .

Back