Ford Focus purchase

Mumha

Hi

We have an 02 Ford Focus Ghia (Saloon) with 44K on the clock in good nick, leather seats, 6CD changer.

We are (or were) interested in the new Ghia Saloon and without any of the extras is 26K euro. 2,000 more than the old model :mad: .

Anyway, we also have a Ford Docket which entitles us to 17.5% off the ex-works price which should save us about 4,400 off the price, you would think.

The salesman in the garage (I told him I had the docket) said we would need to pay an extra 11,200 euro :mad: with our trade in, so they are valuing our Focus at barely 11,000. This to me is a ripoff and suggests that they are pocketing at least 1,500 to 2,000 euro themselves as they will be able to sell mine on for 13,000plus.

Does anyone have experience dealing with a Ford Docket ? Should you mention it up front or after they have given you the price without the Docket ?

Thanks

I've no experience of a Ford Docket but I've got a trade in of just under €12,500 on a 02 Focus 1.4 LX 5 door against a new Focus 1.4 LX 5 door so €11,000 sounds poor for the car you've got.

Crunchie said:
I've no experience of a Ford Docket but I've got a trade in of just under €12,500 on a 02 Focus 1.4 LX 5 door against a new Focus 1.4 LX 5 door so €11,000 sounds poor for the car you've got.

Thanks Crunchie, that's what I thought too.

Try getting some quotes from other garages without mentioning the docket. If you are offered, say, 12,500 from a non-Ford garage, you should be entitled to at least the same from a Ford garage.

Doodle said:
Try getting some quotes from other garages without mentioning the docket. If you are offered, say, 12,500 from a non-Ford garage, you should be entitled to at least the same from a Ford garage.

Not sure how the Docket works, but you might be better off selling your car privately before buying the new one.

You will find it difficult to haggle over a price for a new car once a trade-in is involved - the trade-in has to cover what the garage will get for the car when they sell it on, including VAT and service costs which means it may not be competitive for you.

If you have the cash and can easily go to another garage, then they will have to be competitive on the new car price, or on what extras they throw in.

seems to me that the docket is a bit of a joke when trading as the dealer can deliberately undervalue your car when you present it or can withdraw the offer to trade if you conceal it and spring it later

They are Trim levels.
I do not know off hand what comes as standard on each one - you need to get a brochure to see that, but one may have aircon, CD and alloy wheels whereas another may have sunroof, radio/cassette and normal wheels.

Originally I think there was a base level. Then Zetec implied a more sporty trim level and LX was more towards comfort.
Collection -I think- was a 'end-of life' version of the focus so that should have been packed with extras in order to sell the last of the old models before the new one arrived

Back