Football without Fans

odyssey06

Dunno if its the acoustics of Marseille's stadium but there is negative atmosphere for their game v Man City.

The downbeat mood wasn’t helped by Marseille’s approach to the game which appeared to be one of terror of being torn apart by City.
Marseille fans arehugely vociferous and games against PSG are incendiary - let’s hope fans are back soon

I agree that Marseille"s tactics were not great but a " great" team like city should be able to expose a weak team like that without too much fuss. But City found it hard and the 3 nil scoreline was not a reflection on the game. City were very poor.

I used to be a big football fan but in recent years (maybe decade) I find it boring. Watching Ireland play is a mix of stressful and boring in equal measure. The fans chanting and singing was the most entertaining part of the game for me and probably for them as well most of the time.

Hurling and Rugby for me. Both work without the crowd.

I used to be a big football fan but in recent years (maybe decade) I find it boring. Watching Ireland play is a mix of stressful and boring in equal measure. The fans chanting and singing was the most entertaining part of the game for me and probably for them as well most of the time.

The fans can really elevate things e.g. Friday night LOI game Bohs v Rovers, which wouldn't be at CL level, made for far more engaging \ dramatic sport.
I'd rather listen to fake fans background noise than the shouts of coaches echoing in a large stadium.
I'm hoping Man Utd tonight and Arsenal-Dundalk tomorrow fares better.

I've been following the cycling, standout year for Irish cycling and wonderful sights of France, Spain, Belgium etc

Hurling is great entertainment. Football not as much . Irish international soccer is bad.
The sound in that stadium last night was awful. The panel on Virgin , Niall Quinn and Damien Delaney thought the game was really bad but the sky commentary thought it was a great display from City. I agree with the Irish lads.

I've given up on nearly all soccer although ROI at last seem to be playing the games as it should be played, but many followers (I'm deliberately not using the word "supporters") want ROI to win rather than play attractive football. When you listen to television commentators saying after a player takes a dive screaming for an undeserved penalty "He's so experienced, he knew that was the right thing to do" is scraping the bottom of the barrel for any young child viewing.

Where I live many of the young wear the jerseys of the local hurling team morning, noon and night. There are parts of Dublin where the same happens too. But, when I see a guy wearing tattered shoes and a torn tracksuit-bottom with a UK Premiership jersey costing around €80.00, I wonder.

I didn't realize that Purple was a fan of hurling. Perhaps there's some hope for him? - He's gone up in my ratings.

The premiership players has given very bad ideas to the younger players and coaches for a long time now though, " fall if you get a touch" and shout loud if you get tackled etc. Give me a good hurling game or even rugby where there is no diving or rolling around until you get the free or your opponent booked . The magic sponge can work wonders in soccer after a booking or a free and usually does...

The premiership players has given very bad ideas to the younger players and coaches for a long time now though, " fall if you get a touch" and shout loud if you get tackled etc. Give me a good hurling game or even rugby where there is no diving or rolling around until you get the free or your opponent booked . The magic sponge can work wonders in soccer after a booking or a free and usually does...

There may not be rolling around, but pretty sure in GAA or rugby there are dark arts going on there too.
Maybe less at underage level, and less in hurling than gaelic football & rugby but certainly at club level up.

Whatever the rolling around in GAA multiply it by 10 in Soccer. at least any that is shown on the TV . It seems to be the same all over the world . Usually in GAA if players get a "nudge" it is with the end of a hurl so it is felt and if they go down no magic sponge will help.

I agree with Leper about the wearing of jerseys too. Most of the GAA jerseys worn are good quality and worn with good quality clothes but the soccer "latest " jersey (80) euro is worn with anything .
I also agree that Purple is a man of many talents :D

Last edited:
Whatever the rolling around in GAA multiply it by 10 in Soccer. at least any that is shown on the TV . It seems to be the same all over the world . Usually in GAA if players get a "nudge" it is with the end of a hurl so it is felt and if they go down no magic sponge will help.

You've never seen a GAA player tuck in the other player's arm under theirs and fall over, make it look like they've been bundled over?

I did not realise that GAA players were that skillful. They must have lots of "hidden" talents so .....At least on TV it does not come across as much .

GAA jersies are worn with good quality clothes and soccer jersies are worn with anything including tattered shoes and worn tracksuit bottoms .
Thanks for that lads , in these difficult times a good laugh is important .
You’d be hard pressed to find good quality clothing , outside of an American leisure store catering to the polyester requirements of Florida retirees , to wear with Carlow and Wexford GAA jersies.
We are blessed to be living in an age where teams like Bayern Munich , Liverpool , Real Madrid , Barcelona , Manchester City ( although the latter three teams were at their best 2/3 years ago ) are raising the games to levels not previously seen .
Still the World’s preeminent Sport and the beautiful game , long may it prosper.

GAA jersies are worn with good quality clothes and soccer jersies are worn with anything including tattered shoes and worn tracksuit bottoms .
Thanks for that lads , in these difficult times a good laugh is important .
You’d be hard pressed to find good quality clothing , outside of an American leisure store catering to the polyester requirements of Florida retirees , to wear with Carlow and Wexford GAA jersies.
We are blessed to be living in an age where teams like Bayern Munich , Liverpool , Real Madrid , Barcelona , Manchester City ( although the latter three teams were at their best 2/3 years ago ) are raising the games to levels not previously seen .
Still the World’s preeminent Sport and the beautiful game , long may it prosper.
Garrison game though isn't it? ;)
Down with that sort of thing.

Old Trafford much better atmosphere tonight.. they have a DJ playing appropriate crowd noises. Even a home crowd disapproving noise when ref gives a free against United.

Still , on the bright side, there were some cracking games last night :
Atalanta v Ajax , Borussia v Real and A. Madrid v Salzburg
No wonder it’s called the beautiful game even if it’s fans aren’t well dressed !!

Back