Foil wrapped or solid wood kitchen?

T

Toby

Are foil wrapped kitchen doors durable?

I have just been told by a kitchen company that foil wrapped doors are the way to go for value and durability with kids around. Is this correct? I had heard that foil wrapped can peel but he said they are very durable and with kids around would stand up to bangs and staining better than wood which can dent easily. Foil wrapped are also a bit cheaper but I'd love to hear anyones experiences with them after a few years. Many thanks.

the doors under our sink have swelled at the top from the constant splashes, causing the foil to come away a bit. it also discolours (white)

Thanks Eamonn, can I ask, are the doors old? The kitchen company I'm talking to told me that the modern foil wrapping techniques are very durable. I'm just not sure whether or not to believe them. Shouldn't the stuff underneath be sealed from moisture as long as the foil isn't cut or something?

I am worried that they'd discolour but once again they told me they are easy to clean. Maybe pale wood is better?

they are 7 years old. the single piece foil covers the back and sides with a seperate piece on the back. the water got in to the mdf underneath where the 2 pieces meet at the back edge . the presses near and above the cooker have yellowed a bit from the heat but i suspect the same would happen with any white kitchen. they are still quite presentable so i wont be forking out for new doors just yet but if i was buying again and had a choice, i would go for wooden doors. when we moved house, we were skint ftb's so took what the builder was offering.

Painted wood or foil wrapped kitchen doors?

This hasn't been clearly addressed in the Kitchens post so I'd like some advice if possible. We're about to order our new cream kitchen and I'm just wondering if theres any reason to go for painted wood doors over foil wrapped. The foil wrapped I've seen look fine and I'd imagine are a lot cheaper. We have kids so priority is for hard wearing, low maintenance and easy cleaning. Thanks.

Can anyone tell me if there is any reason to get solid wood kitchen doors rather than foil wrapped if you just wanted a painted finish? The foil wrapped doors look good in my opinion. Many thanks.

I have merged the threads in question into one. Toby - please note the in the duplication of queries.

Sorry, I forgot that I had asked before to be honest. Still not sure which way to go but I suppose there is no clear answer. Thanks.

Back