Foam or Bead Insullation

F

foamman

I have a house 1995 with 60mm polyboard insullation in the cavity. Insullation was not installed properly, and the house can be very cold. It's a big house and can be very expensive to heat. When the heating is turned off it gets cold very quickly. From doing DIY on the house I have noticed that the insullation in the cavity is not up against the internal wall.
Anyway I want to get the cavity insullated. The idea of bead or foam injected into the cavity is doing my head in. I have heard numerous reports, good and bad about both.
I know the builder who build the house has some electric cables going through the cavity. Im am told that if I use the injected bead it could react with the cables with the potential to cause a fire!!
With the injected foam I believe that it is not approved by the Irish Agreement Board,something to do with a report in the UK some 20years ago. I was thinking of using a closed cell polyurathane foam but I heard today from one supplier that it does not affect the cables, but another said that you cannot use closed cell around cables. I could use open cell foam but not in the walls is it retains moisture and can cause problems. The closed cell foam I understand keeps the moisture out but therefore does not let the outer wall of the cavity breath and dry out, causing other potential problems. I also heard from another foam installer who does not inject walls that the foam injection system is causing problems in Ireland and England, and also may have fire risks. He mentioned that it could be banned within a year, and that Insurance Companies may have difficulties in the future with homes injected in the cavity with foam. Another installer who deals with injected beads into the cavity that foam insullation was banned in America and Canada. This I know is rubbish but came from a salesman from a large company. Just shows you what we are being fed.
Anybody throw any light on my problems, as I need to decide what to do. I could insulate inside but it's a large house and I therefore would prefer not to. Any help appreciated.

Hi,

Welcome to AAM.

There are some previous threads on cavity wall insulation here which might be of interest.

You would probably get the best advice from They will get one of their advisors to call you back and they will go through your options with you.

Back