Key Post Flooring - alternatives to carpet/wooden floors

Other posts

ajapale
Very frequent poster
Flooring - Marmoleum

Has any one had any experience with this type of flooring?

ajapale

mo3art
Re: Marmoleum

Yep

Used it for a mezzanine floor in a factory a while back. Very hard wearing & easy to clean. Effectively it's a much tougher version of vinyl or lino. There's a special way of putting it down, & it looks brilliant.

An awful lot of commercial companies would use it for entrance halls etc. Especially as it can be cut in different colours and patterns made in the layout.

Try the following website for more information:

www.forbo-flooring.ie/

HTH

Mo

Marion
Re: Flooring for kitchen

Amtico is very nice. It is as warm as wood underfoot.

Marion

Some other posts

Toby
Has anyone used karndean floors?

Anyone have any experience with [broken link removed] flooring? Its supposedly like Amtico - hard wearing, softer than laminate and does a good imitation of wood. Its cheaper than Amtico so am considering it for entire ground floor of house following extension. Any insight would be great thanks.

KBR909
Re: Has anyone used karndean floors?

Haven't used it Toby, but I'm looking for it also as an alternatice to Amtico. I'm based in Wexford - don't suppose you know who stocks it within an hour of here?

If I get any more info I'll post it.

Joooolz
Re: Has anyone used karndean floors?

I was on their website and put in a request for info. They subsequently sent me a brochure and emailed me my nearest stockist...very helpful!

I am based in Dublin and I was given the following info for stockists

Frank McGowen & Co Ltd, The Green, Malahide, Dublin 01845 1277
-Floortex, Eaton Hall, Terenure Road North, Dublin 6W 01490 4420
-D D O'Brian & CO, 126 harolds Cross Road, Dublin 6W 01497 9423

Maybe a bit far from Wexford though!

KBR909
All Karndean Flooring costs?

Anybody know how much Karndean flooring costs? Just basic imitation slate tile, fitted price.
It's seems very hard to get a quote for it, but if anybody can share their experience I could at least budget it in or out.
I'm in Wexford if anyone knows of a stockist even in Carlow or Wicklow?

Toby
Re: Karndean Flooring costs?

I was told to budget around E60 per sq/ft incl fitting in Dublin.

Are you thinking of getting it? I am too but am not sure if its worth the money and might get cheaper laminate instead. I just don't want the maintenance of wood or hard cold tiles.

Toby

I was told about E60 incl fitting in Dublin. Email their website and they'll tell you about your nearest supplier. [broken link removed]

KBR909

Very good website Toby. Been trying 10 days to et a quote from waterford & karndean mailed me with a stockist about 10 miles away from wexford who gave a ballpark figure of €61/sqm fitted (You mentioned sq ft Toby - hopefully this was a mistake).

Just have to go home now & convince management that her granite worktop idea may have to be 'put on hold' to afford this stuff

Toby

I know, its expensive. Do you think its worth it? We have kids so maybe we should get something cheap for the first few years and upgrade when they get older.

KBR909

We are going to go for lino now - about €15/sq yd fitted. I still think it is worth the €60/sq yd when you consider you will tread on it every day a number of times a day for many years. But right now we are moving into a new house & it just isn't feasible along with all the other expense.
BTW the house we are renting now was valued at €400k a short time ago, up from a value of €320k 8 months ago. It has lino & laminate & these were not brought up as an issue in the valuation.

Some other posts

Rujib
Removing floor tiles

Hi,

We are in the middle of a kitchen renovation and I now need to remove the ceramic floor tiles which were laid 19 years ago.
I have no problem in getting the tiles to come up. The trouble is that the tiles are coming away from the adhesive which is staying stuck to the cobcrete floor in a fairly thick layer. I need to remove this adhesive in order to make it easy to lay new tiles properly.
Any ideas on how to go about this efficiently. It is a REAL tough and slow job with a lump hammer and bolster / chisel.
I need a faster way through this.

Thanks.

legend99
Very frequent poster

Get a light kango hammer with a four inch bit.

EAMONN66
Frequent poster

light kango hammer
you could buy a cheap sds drill which can also be used as a kango with chisel bits.

sunnyday
Frequent poster

you could buy a cheap sds drill which can also be used as a kango with chisel bits
With a 4inch bit, would it have comparable "chisling power" to a kango?

heinbloed1
Adhesive

What sort of adhesive is it?For the concrete/cement type see advises above.If it is the plastic/mastic material you could hire a machine from Chadwicks that looks like a hoover but has a rotating "grinder" in front to scratch off the stuff.

Rujib

Hi,

What is an sds drill?. That is a new one on me.

Thanks

sueellen
Re: Removing floor tiles.

Overview on drills and

cobalt
Frequent poster
sds drill

[broken link removed]

Rujib
Re: removing floor tiles.

Well, I have tried everything including lump hammer and chisel, sds drill with various types of chisel bits but it is almost impossible to get the adhesive off the floor.
In the end I think I will just kango the top 2 inches of the floor and replace with a new screed. It seems easier than trying to get the adhesive off satisfactorily.

Any recommendations for the mix for the floor screed. Since it is approx 1.5 inches to 2.0 inches I am thinking about 6 to 1 sand cement. Dose that sound ok.

Thanks

sueellen
Re: Removing floor tiles

Rujib,

This extract:

"Alternatively, for a thicker screed, you can mix up three parts sharp grit sand and one of cement with three parts water to one of PVA. This can be trowled into the low areas and feathered out at the edges. "

from B&Q website.

Re: >>Flooring - other options to carpet/wooden floors

With all this talk of laminate floors has anyone got best tips on cleaning it. Have one in sitting room for two months now. Little wash up liquid, a little water and a mop perhaps? Tips welcome.

You can guy special stuff in Atlantic Homecare designed for washing laminate. The general rule seems to be not to let it get too wet.

As for the original floor question, I went with vinyl in my kitchen and bathroom and love it. You can look up what pattern you fancy here http://www.armstrong.com and ring the Irish distributor and get samples sent to you.

I love it because there's so much choice, it drove me crazy trying to select tiles. Lovely and soft, so easy to wipe, can come up again if you want to change. I don't know how durable it is, I think the main potential for damage is from sharp objects, like stiletto heels.

We had a pitch pine floor laid by a carpenter a few weeks ago. Before the floor was laid, the wood was lying stacked in the room it was eventually put down in. Then we varnished it with a varnish that was as expensive as plastic coating - about €50 for 2 1/2 litres. (himself isn't at home now so I can't ask him exactly what it was or whether it was 5L.) The floor has now started to buckle in places and we don't know whether to lift it and re-lay it or what? It is quite bad, you couldn't leave it the way it is. We didn't buy the wood from a supplier - we bought it through an ad in Buy and Sell. It was still in it's original wrapping. Our disappointment is huge - it looked really lovely when it was put down first. I was wondering did anyone out there have a similar experience and if so, how did you deal with it?

We had laminate floor put down four and a half years ago, in hall and spare room. We have carpet runners along hall. Its the same today as when it was put down. The only maintenance it gets is hoovered and occasionally a slightly damp cloth.

The carpets are nearly worn out after that time. I wanted to put laminate throughout but the rest of the family said no that it would be too cold but I wish I had. Dust wise yes you will see the dust but at least you know when it needs hoovering. I would recommend laminate but put mats down by door then it wont get wet.

Hi Joanmul
I had this problem a couple of years ago with sn oak floor. BAsically there was not enough of a gap left between the floor and the walls. So when the wood expands it has nowhere to go.
I got the guys back and they had to lift the skirting boards at one side and cut back the timber floor a bit from the wall again to relieve the pressure. Contact the carpenter and get him back again. This is annoying but fixable...

beldin said:
Hi Joanmul
I had this problem a couple of years ago with sn oak floor. BAsically there was not enough of a gap left between the floor and the walls. So when the wood expands it has nowhere to go.
I got the guys back and they had to lift the skirting boards at one side and cut back the timber floor a bit from the wall again to relieve the pressure. Contact the carpenter and get him back again. This is annoying but fixable...

Thanks Beldin. Will pass on that info to him who must be obeyed and give it a go.

Looked at the showrooms for this product yesterday and it looked fantastic had me fooled anyway looks great but can be a bit pricey but still 20 year Garauntee......yes 20 YEARS!

[url]www.amtico.com[/URL]

Our house is 50 years old with woodblock floors - steamed beech in the hall and oak in the dining room and sitting room. Other than passing the Dyson across at the usual intervals the only maintenance they get is a coat of Danish Oil about once every 18 months.

Re: Key Post: Flooring - other options to carpet/wooden floors

Hello, I am putting down limestone tiles in kitchen/living area and part of the corridor. Has anyone any experience of using these in their home and were they happy with them? I will be having radiators in house for heating. I know they need to be sealed every so often but any other advice/positive comments on them!! (as I will be making final decision this week hopefully). Thank you.

Polished concrete - quick in use in Australia in new modern style buildings. Looks great and I hear maintenance is very easy - Obvioulsy a hard floor so it might not be that great in a bedroom say, but brilliant in wet and heavy traffic areas. I assume you have to insulate underneath. Cheers

Just saw a new product called Duma floor - available in MD O'Shea's McMahon's etc

It's a 100% waterproof laminate that apparently can't be damaged, (a factory test had petrol poured on it and it was let burn for 2 mins was perfect after a wipe of a cloth) Not that I'll be trying it or anything. It's a click type. No need for expansion joints either as it never swells. Suitable for kitchens, bathrooms etc.

That said we have a lovely walnut laminate floor in our new sitting room and had a huge leak while we were on holiday and it's perfect after it. It basically had a huge puddle of water on it for approx 1 week. Up to that I was panicked about the mop being too wet washing it!

Just another option.

Re: Flooring - Amtico/Karndean/Marmoleum?

Hello, may I ask if anyone has used Amtico or Karndean on their floors and are they happy with it? I am building at the moment and I am thinking ahead for my flooring. I am not keen on wood or tiles and saw these products (Karndean and Amtico) in a carpet shop at weekend and was very interested in them. Also, is marmoleum another type of flooring along the same lines as Karndean and Amtico? Thanks very much.

Hi,
Check out B&Q as they do waterproof laminates for bathrooms and kitchens and price maybe more favourable than Amtico which is more for life - and TBH, not everyone wants that.

Thank you for your reply and advice. I am going to post a general question re Karndean and Amtico as I didn't get any replies, bar your good self! :)

Back