Flood cover home insurance

Harfang

Hi folks, I bought my home in 2004. New build mid terrace house in an estate. Home insurance was never an issue but more recently it has ramped up and one of the reasons is risk of flooding. Oddly this was not an issue for @ the first 10 years here. It is a newish issue . We've not had any flooding so I don't know why it is an issue now. I did look at the opw site re flood maps and it has my home marked as LOW risk.

Anyways, the small stream is some distance from my home, separated by high ground and another row of terraced houses (with no breaks in them for quite a distance) I can't see how the stream could ever flood to the extent that it could reach my home.

I can renew my cover, minus flood protection, saving over 400 euro. I am quite happy to do this but am i missing anything? The insurance complany said it is something i would need to declare when getting insurance in subsequent years.

Is it simply a case of , if i am happy to do it then it is fine. ? Thank you

yes if you are happy to go with they are fine. But what they mean is if you give up flood cover you are likely not to ever get it again. Because if insurance company B is told that company A didnt offer flood, they will wonder what they are missing out on. I'd be shopping around to see if you could get it.

Hi. Try a different insurance company or companies. My MIL had this issue when seeking a quote from FBD but no other company raised the issue.

Thanks guys, I will pay a lot more to get the flood cover. Have shopped around, 4 companies and basically all the same.
I wonder re the flood mapping by the opw, they say the insurance companies don't use their data but very odd what i am experiencing recently given their recent programme. “Catchment Flood Risk Assessment and Management (CFRAM) Programme" was finalised in May 2018.

Indeed Allianz have the following on one of their webpages -
"How to tell if My Home is in a Flood Area

If you’re not yet sure whether you live in a flood area, there are a few websites that can help you get an idea flood areas around Ireland, such as Flood Info. "

The website flood info is the opw one, but the opw say it

" ...... includes a provision that users of the website must not
use the Flood Maps or any other content of the website, for commercial purposes. The insurance industry has its own flood
modelling tools for assessing the level of risk that it is willing to underwrite in relation to individual properties. "

Last edited:
The other thing is make sure your Eircode is showing up in the correct place on maps.

Also, since you've a terraced house, check with your neighbours if they're seeing the same increases.

Back