Laya Flex 500 Explore

yomc17

Hi. I am responsible for my parents health insurance renewal. They are both in their early 60's and are healthy and active. They have been on the Flex Explore plan for the past number of years and have increased the excess to €500 last year. I now note that some high-tech hospitals are no longer available on this plan. Given their age I think they need good cardiac and orthopaedic cover. Could anyone suggest an alternative to Flex 500 Explore or should I keep them on this plan? Thanks in advance!

yomc17,

Alternative plans that retain full cover with all 3 hi-tech hospitals are as follows;

1. Laya Control 600 Connect; price 852pa; all public,private and 3 hi-tech hospitals covered, excess 600 per private admissions. Day case excess
175 per private visit. No excess applies for cardiac or orthopaedic in hi-tech hospitals.

2. Laya Control 450 Connect; price 971pa; all public, private and 3 hi-tech hospitals covered, excess 450 per private admissions. Day case excess
125 per private visit. No excess applies for cardiac or orthopaedic in hi-tech hospitals.

[broken link removed]

Note; the above 2 plans also fully cover a private room in a private hospital.

Regarding Flex 500 Explore, while the changes to this plan means that most surgery is no longer covered with Blackrock Clinic and Mater Private.
The only types of surgery still fully covered with these two hospitals is 'cardiac' and 'orthopaedic'. So, it matches the two items you mentioned.
To retain full hi-tech cover, the above 2 plans are good options.

Regards Snowyb

Last edited:
Many thanks Snowyb for your invaluable advice. That comparison was very helpful. I've just renewed them on the Control 600 Connect policy. Keep up your great work here! :)

@snowyb: I just renewed 2 adults on Flex 500 explore for €1668. We have no immediate health issues but are in mid 50s.

I wonder if Control 600 Connect would be better for a few € more? Would like access to hi-tech/Mater Private if possible.

Yes, due to the changes to Flex 500 Explore - loss of cover for Mater Private and Blackrock Clinic - an alternative plan that maintains full
hi-tech hospital cover is well worth switching to.
For a difference in price of just 18 euro per person, you will not lose this cover.

There is also extra cover on Control 600 Connect which includes full cover for a private room in a private hospital.

Since your preference is access to Mater Private, I would recommend switching to keep all options open.

Snowyb

Back