Health Insurance Flex 175 Explore alternatives.

Armstrongracer

I've had this plan for over 10 years and never made a single claim. Probably stupid of me but renewed every year and didn't look at alternatives. Its an old plan but Laya never suggested changing the plan for something better, just took my money. My mother died of heart attack recently and my GP suggested getting a cardiac CT scan just in case, as there can be inherited risks for me. Expensive procedure around €4-500. Checked with Laya and it comes under everyday expenses and the policy excess is €450 so after shelling out the equivalent of 50% of my rent every month, its useless the first time I need it. I'm fuming about this. I can get €30,000 towards gender realignment but something that will detect cardiac issues early and possibly reduce future payouts isn't covered. I'm done with Laya. Any better plans/alternatives?

It's annoying when any insurance policy turns out not to cover you when you need it, but to be fair I find the terms on Laya's plans are pretty clear. I'm with them 20 years and review both our policies every year. I must have changed my plan (and his) 4 or 5 times because policies and their terms change, as do our projected health needs.

i do sympathise but you really can't expect Laya, or any insurance company, to contact you to suggest plan changes. I've found them pretty helpful in that regard but that's because I rang and specifically asked them about suitable alternatives. It's easy to do the research yourself on their website, but for not much more than you're paying you could be on a plan that has virtually no outpatient excess. I would suggest that you take this as a lesson learned and decide to do your homework in future. Have a look at the Inspire plans and the Simply Connect plans.

I would look at Laya Control 600 Total if you have no underlying illnesses.
Hospital cover is identical if not a little bit better than what you get on Flex 175 and the Outpatient Excess is on €1 whereas on Flex 175 it's €150.
Also you get a little bit more refundable on the GP or Consultant fee and Dental on the Control 600 Total that you don't get on the Flex 175.

It'd be cheaper by €300 or so.

Now the excess per hospital stay is €600 euro on the Control 600 Total whereas it's €175 excess per hospital stay on the Flex 175. But you are betting on not ending up in a private hospital if you see what I mean. See the comparison below.

Back