Flat rate expenses and Rent tax credit

boogaloo

hi all,

I received my tax cert yesterday. Two things:
I have a tax credit of 12.80 for Flat Rate Expenses, and my SRCOP is increased by 64 due to Flat Rate expenses - I am an administrator for a private company - is this the correct amount of credit?

I have a rent tax credit of 254 - is this right? I thought this had increased to 330 for 2006? Can I backdate this tax credit for a few years, as I think it has been the same 254 with about 5 years now?

Many thanks

Don't know about the flat rate expense question - sorry. Single person under 55 rent relief for 2005 was €1,500 @ 20% = €300 and for 2006 it is €1,650 @ 20% = €330. Note that Revenue have made mistakes on many statements of tax credits this year (see other related threads) so check yours carefully and contact them to rectify any errors immediately. Note also that claims for outstanding credits/reliefs can only be backdated 4 tax years these days.

thanks very much Clubman. Is it possible to get a copy of my tax certs for previous years? They had the wrong address for the last 2 years, and despite many phonecalls to ask them to change, they only changed it in January of this year. So I do not actually have my tax cert for 2004 or 2005..

thanks

I don't know if you can get copies of your tax credits for previous years but if not then all the information you need should be on your payslips, P60s etc. If you collate all of the relevant information, make copies of the relevant forms and send them to Revenue asking them to review your tax affairs for the relevant years then that should do the business.

In relation to the flat rate expenses if it is an "expenses in employment" allowance/credit then it should be listed [broken link removed]. I misread your original query and assumed that you were a director or self employed.

thanks. I don't see administrator anywhere in that list, so maybe I should check it out in case they are giving it to me when they shouldn't be.

cheers.

they seem to be confusing to the revenue also - I just rang them to ask what it was for, the girl said it related to expenses in employment. I explained I was an office administrator, she said there was no credit allowed for anyone in Clerical/Office work. So I asked her to take it off for this year, to which her reply was 'sure its only 12.80, you can leave it on as it was granted to you at some stage'....so I said, no thanks, please take it off as I do not want to have my tax wrong.
She then said she would ammend the rent relief credits to reflect 300 in 2005 and 330 in 2006. She didn't know what the allowance should have been in 2004 but said she would check and refund any difference if there was any.
To be honest, I got the impression she was drafted in to help during this busy period but that she may not have been given sufficient training to deal with queries outside of the ordinary ' I have no PAYE credits, please give me some'....

Back