Flash your lights?

lff12 said:
As for the margin of error I read somewhere that most speedometers actually show slightly above your real speed for that reason.
Correct. Technically speedos can legally be out by as much as 10%. However they must over-read by whatever the margin of error is not under-read. Hence it's quite possible to be doing what you think is over the speed limit and in fact be under.

That said most speedos today would be little more than 1 or 2 % out unless you were well over the speed limit.

As far as speed traps are concerned i'm not a supporter at all, hard speed traps are well known and i regularly see people belt towards the one on the M1, hit the brakes and then floor it immediately afterwards. Utterly futile. Mobile speed traps are almost as bad since they're frequently at well known spots again.

The only motorway speed traps worth any effort would be the 'averaging' system in use in parts of Europe where every reg is snaped at a point on the motorway and again a few miles further down. A quick time comparison (all handled by computer) reveals if someone was over the limit or not.

I seen on a web site someplace that the car speedo can be +6% -0% (i.e. actual speed 94kmph but the clock showing 100)

Also a friend of mine was pulled over for flashing the lights to a car and was caught!!! Got away with it by telling the Guard he thought he knew a car in the traffic.

bond-007 said:
I don't think its an offence at all. I have never heard of any sucessful prosecutions.

I definetly heard of a case coming to court about a year ago. I just remember the judge calling it "disgraceful behaviour" but don't remember the outcome.

Back