Fixed term tenancy, being asked to vacate after 3 months

dubdub123

HI - A friend of mine moved into a rental a few months ago with a fixed term tenancy of 1 year in place. Now, out of the blue the landlord is saying verbally (nothing in writing yet) that he needs to move out. He is now giving him two months notice to get out.
He's in the rental for less than six months, but does have a fixed term contract.

What are the tenants rights here? I've advised him to get everything in writing. On the citizens advice site, it states that landlord needs to give reason if they ask a person with fixed term tenancy to vacate, however on the RTB site it indicates that landlord does NOT have to give any reason if tenant is there less than six months.

Tenant is not Irish and I'm concenred landlord is taking advantage of him. He's mentioned he wants to sell the property, but tenant believes this may be false and he just wants higher rent. What advise please on this ? Next steps ? Thanks

Fixed term contracts are slightly different, the landlord can only terminate within the fixed term is if the tenant has breached a condition of the lease. See here.

Back