Fixed term deposit rates dropping drastically

B

bacon

Called up BOI today, 12 month deposit at 5% no longer exists. They're now offering only two products:
- 18 mths at 5% (AER 2.9%) and
- I think 3 mths at 3.5% (I couldn't understand what the banker was saying as the line was bad so pls clarify with them)

Same scenario at PTSB, today is the last day for 12 mths at 4.55% (up to €50k) / 5.3% (more than €50k). Better rush over if you want to secure it!

They are reducing the rates to 3.65% (up to €50k) / 4.4% (more than €50k). Banker said the rates will drop again in Jan.

:(

Not really a surprise given the falling ECB rates I would have thought. We can;t have it both ways!

Same scenario at PTSB, today is the last day for 12 mths at 4.55% (up to €50k) / 5.3% (more than €50k). Better rush over if you want to secure it!
:(

You can lock at a better rate than that. Both Anglo offer 6% and Investec offer 6% for 12 months fixed.

Both Anglo offer 6% and Investec offer 6% for 12 months fixed.

Lock in soon, with the Fed reducing interest rates to virtually zero the rates are only likely to go in one direction.

Lock in soon, with the Fed reducing interest rates to virtually zero the rates are only likely to go in one direction.

Let's hope so (from a mortgage perspective) , The ECB are a strange bunch that make take 6-8 months before they hit zero with the Euro rate.

Halifax still seem to be doing 5.6%. At least they have it plastered all over their home page.

Only things is its limited to 100K government guarantee.

Northern Rock have withdrawn their 5% 1 year fixed rate bond. Their on line demand account is still paying 5%.

Back