Fitted items - buying a house

Kerry4sam

Just a quick question. I’m in the process of buying a house. And it’s almost over the line. The vendor has moved out. But has taken all the wardrobes. I’m almost they were fixed to the wall. I do not have keys yet so can’t investigate any further but my question is, are they allowed to remove items like fitted wardrobes or should they be left. Is there a legal standpoint??

Cheers

are they allowed to remove items like fitted wardrobes or should they be left. Is there a legal standpoint??

Unless specified, fixtures are just that... fixtures and shouldn't be removed from the property.

Clarify with your solicitor.

I’m almost they were fixed to the wall.

Obviously, people can remove furniture such as beds and wardrobes.

Unless the wardrobes were specified in the brochure (or contract) as "fitted wardrobes" , I would imagine that they can take them with them.

Brendan

A family member once moved into a house from which the seller had removed even the light fittings - I don't mean shades etc. I mean they left bare wires dangling from the walls and ceilings! Some people, eh...

It's not nice of them but a small matter in grand scheme of things. If you like the property, it's not worth the hassle in sellers market unless you are ready to take deposit back.

A family member once moved into a house from which the seller had removed even the light fittings - I don't mean shades etc. I mean they left bare wires dangling from the walls and ceilings! Some people, eh...
That would be quite common on the continent. I've also seen where a single strip of wallpaper has been removed in a room so that the new owners / tenants wouldn't get the benefit of the wall paper.

That would be quite common on the continent. I've also seen where a single strip of wallpaper has been removed in a room so that the new owners / tenants wouldn't get the benefit of the wall paper.
Wow! I cannot understand that mentality.

I can (just about) understand ripping out wardrobes, light fittings etc as you can ré use them.

But that strip of wall paper isn't of any value or any use.

Most transaction are either very remote or pleasant but I've had fraught situations where because of title or planning issues and, after much heated exchanges, the purchase price has been reduced by reluctant agreement. The purchasers really want the property and the vendors
badly need to sell/complete and they know that the issues will prevent a sale to anyone else precisely because of the issues.

Because of the ill feeling, issues pre-completion ranged from some of the above to the Vendor gluing locks and leaving the house in a filthy condition.

In one case, where the purchasers did not go ahead I reckoned the yendors would have lifted floor boards and left dead fish there as a welcome surprise.

mf

Its odd, but some wardrobes are designed to be removed and reused. A wardrobe isn't hugely expensive anyway and older ones often look a bit tired and battered

Back