First Time Lawn Seeding

kfpg

Any gardeners out there got a few tips. We have a new site where we had to get a dozen loads of top soil delivered. The digger is just spreading this. Whats the best way forward from here?

I would guess we need to rake the entire area to get a level smooth finish, probably pick stones for a while and then seed before the end of Sept. Is shaking the seed by hand adequate (it is 3/4 acre !!). What kind of seed would be recommended - anyone invented slow growing lush green grass yet?

Any advice appreciated.

I'd recommend a pro with a stone raker machine - maybe plant hire places would give them out to you.They are a machine you walk behind with 2 big handlebars on it - think big Harley handlbars following a big lawnmower.

Our lawn is reasonably big and would have taken forever to clear of stones, plus you'd never get the finish as good (i.e. flat, no dips hollows bumps etc.)

While I'm all for d.i.y., painting the house etc etc, this is one back breaking area where you wont get the results the machine will give you and you'd break your back trying.

Cost us about €400 but explore plant hire option.
Apart from that, seed ASAP before weeds get in, shake a bit of fertiliser 10-10-20 maybe, pull as many weeds as possible when the grass sprouts, cut the grass regularly.

Grass seed comes in three grades, No.s 1, 2 or 3. No. 1 is finest grade, slow growing and lush as you said! But, and there is always a but, it is not hardwearing and wouldn't stand up to regular use, esp. children playing ball games etc. It is more for formal lawns. Grade 3 is tough and fast growing (contains more rye grasses) and will stand up to wear and tear but will need regular cutting. If your top soil is imported then it will need rolling to compact it and prevent hollows and settlement later. It's a big area to sow by hand but it can be done. Alternatively you could hire a seed/ fertiliser spreader from a hire shop pretty cheaply, looks like one of those push mowers and gives an even result. Either way mark out your lawn in to strips say 2m apart using builders line and pegs, this allows you to gauge the seed properly and ensure an even dispersion of the seed. When you've sown in one direction, peg the area out again in the opposite direction (at 90 degrees) and spread seed again, this will ensure an even growth in your new lawn. Tie some strips of foil or plastic onto pegs and leave them in the lawn to discourage birds from eating your lawn seed. Also you could try scattering some fine sand over the area to help disguise the seed. Be sure to keep the area well watered.

Thanks guys, I will probably take advice on both counts.

Can you get the stone raker in say Sam Hire (I checked their web site only and didn't find). I assume you rake the stones in to a central spot and take away in a wheel barrow or something.

Does the raker also guarantee " flat, no dips hollows bumps etc. " ?

On the grass seed sounds like number 2 is the option for me. When seed is scattered does it then need raking again to "rake it in" so to speak?

If the area concerned was small you could rake in the seed but on a large area I,m not sure that it would be necessary or viable, but I am open to correction on this. No. 2 is a good compromise!

the raker should give you flat, no dips hollows etc. etc.

Of course all depends on how well you use it and how much you use it. One saunter across the lawn wont give instant perfection. Idea should be to run it at right angles on alternative runs, therefore overall surface either flat or showing an even contour (where sloping lawn), not just a flat strip with a ridge to the next flat strip etc.

Back