Health Insurance First-time health insurance

BeanBagBenBeag

Hi Everyone,
I'm looking for good all round cover for me, my partner and our two teenage children.
We are close to Galway, so any package that would include hospitals there would be good.
We have not had health cover before in Ireland, but we have just moved here so I think we are excused from the age rating?
We have looked at the HIA comparison site but there are so many plans it is very difficult to see what is good. Especially if you don't know what you might need.
We have a budget of €1,500 to €2,500. Any suggestions?
Thank you in advance.

Hi BeanBagBenBeag,

Welcome to AAM.

You will be excused from the loading for lifetime community rating, if you take out health insurance within 9 months of moving to Ireland.
The following link explains this.
https://www.hia.ie/consumer-information/lifetime-community-rating-explained

Regarding your 2 teenage children, VHI are best priced at the moment for this age-group and they allow children to be insured on their own,
without an adult. An adult is just named on the policy but just the children are insured. There is a half price offer if you join before 1st Oct 2018.

Suggestion as follows;
1. One + Plan; price 139 per child; all public hospitals, all private hospitals and 3 hi-tech hospitals covered, private hospital excess 125 per admission or day case procedure. No day to day cover included on this plan for gp visits, dental etc. If this is required, a seperate add-on
policy can be purchased. Details as follows;

Health steps Silver; price 88 per child; this extra plan gives a refund of 25 euro per gp, dental, physio visit and 60 per consultant visit etc.
Overall total price; 139 + 88 = 227 per child.

[broken link removed]

[broken link removed]

Adult Options
For the 2 adults, the following VHI plan is worth considering;

1. VHI Company Plan Plus Level 1.3; price 1128 per adult; all public hospitals, all private hospitals and 3 hi-tech hospitals covered, private
hospital excess 150 per admission, 50 excess per private day case procedure, no excess to pay in any public hospital. Good day to day
cover included on this plan.
[broken link removed]

If day to day medical expenses cover is not required, the following Irish Life plan is a good option;

2. Irish Life Benefit Plan; price 899 per adult, all public hospitals, all private hospitals and 3 hi-tech hospitals covered, private hospital excess
200 per admission or 125 excess per private day case procedure. Note; according to Irish Life website, there is a discount of one month for free during September.
[broken link removed]

Note; VHI are offering a cash refund at the moment, 50 euro per adult if you sign up with My VHI and tick the box to receive all documentation online/email. A further 50 euro refund applies to the policyholder, if you pay through your salary or by direct debit. So an offer of 150 applies
to yourselves if you go with VHI. Further details here, note this offer applies upto 1st October 2018.
https://www.vhi.ie/onlineadvantage

Regards, Snowyb

Thank you Snowyb! That is a lot of great information. And very good advice about having the children with VHI, but not needing the adults on the same insurance. Fantastic help!

Back