First time buyer or not?

marylou

Hi everyone
I have a couple of posts covering several areas with which I need help, and here's another one: Have just been reading info. on Oasis website regarding stamp duty. It says that a divorced / separated woman Not residing in the marital home, and buying another property is regarded as a first time buyer ( If I understood it correctly ), and so follows the rules for first time buyers.
My situation is that I reside outside of Ireland ( Irish citizen ),and when I return as a divorcee next year, I will obviously not be residing in the marital home. However, several years ago I bought out my sibs. shares of the family home, and subsequently sold it to the last unmarried sib. (long story; don't want to go there). In this respect, although it was not the marital abode, as a buyer of a house that wasn't my living abode, would I still be considered a first time buyer????
Hope this sounds reasonably coherent !
many thanks for any help.
Marylou

Re: First time buyer or not???

My first thoughts are that you are no longer a FTB... insofar that you bought and sold a house prior to your current marital situation. (Mrs. gianni had a similar(ish) scenario on her side of the family with inheritance and shares of houses and the person involved transpired not to be FTB...)

Hopefully I am wrong about your case !

Thanks Gianni
I'm checking it out as best I can. I presumed I would Not be considered a first time buyer, but I'm not sure how that pertains to single parents with no marital home, or other investment properties.
Anyway much obliged.
Marylou

I belive that a legal marital separation order makes the person who left the family home an automatic FTB if the person has no other property anywhere other than the family home that they (obviously ) no longer have. Persons living in sin :p cannot get a marital separation order in order to qualify as an FTB.

Were you still married when you sold out to the sib and were you subsequently separated somehow I believe that the FTB status applies in your case but the sequencing is obviously important and you should maybe consult a Family Law expert on what paperwork is required.

EG

a) had you separated (legally somehow) , sold to the sib, divorced , the FTB status may not apply

b) had you sold to the sib while still married , separated (legally somehow) , then divorced or separated by divorce , the FTB status may apply

Hi 2pack
To answer your question : I bought and later sound the family home while married. Am in fact still married, but will have gone through divorce proceedings ( am living abroad ) by next year, when I intend to return to Ireland - legally divorced - and look for another place to raise the kids. So, that leaves me where, do you think ??
Thanks

You've lost me 2pack!! 8 hour time difference here , if that in some way answers your question??? Or is that what you meant??? Or am i missing it altogether???
help!!

Clubman:
Thanks. Had picked up some info. to that effect, but not as clearly stated. Think I have a good case.

2pack: Disregard my reply to you. Have just seen that I misread what you wrote, and now fully comprehend. Put it down to that 8 hour time difference, and therefore approaching bedtime; the heat , and the few drinks!!!
Cheers

You should also ask the family/divorce lawyer here what kind of proof you need to bring from wherever you are now in order to prove to our Revenue that you qualify.

The precise sequencing of events in your present location may also be important....eg not selling out the PPR before a valid separation or whatever.

You will not qualify under the separted persons provisions unless
you transferred all of your interest in the family home to your former spouse and did not retain an interest in it. In any event you will not qualify as a first time buyer because you previously owned and interest in a a property, the fact that it was not the marital home is irrelvant.

Back