First Registration

mangos

Hi

Hope someone can help-currently buying new house and have had offer accepted-solicitor has now told me the house has only recently received a vesting cert & lease on it had expired. advised to go for 'first registration'. not sure what this means and if I should go ahead with sale

Can anyone help?
Mangos

You will increase your chances of getting a meaningful reply by making the title more meaningful.

I have moved the post from Legal & Financial Issues to Mortgages and Home Buying.

Brendan

This isn't a huge issue, the first registration is relatively straightforward, the Land registry have already state guaranteed the free-hold by issuing the vesting certificate. You will probably have to get a map drawn. Ask your solicitor what extra cost is involved. The solicitor may charge you extra for the application itself and the land registry has a fee for the registration. If you were buying a land registry title with a mortgage the land registry fees alone would be over €700, the cost of the first registration would probably be comparable

Not to disagree with you ramble but obtaining a vesting cert doesn't mean the state guarantees the freehold. There are two types - vesting on consent (green cert) and vesting by arbitration (red cert). the Green Cert doesn't give you a good root of title as the title documents have not been examined by Land Registry. The red cert does operate as a good root of title as you must submit your title to Land Registry where the chief Examiner of Titles reviews all you documents (much in the same way as 1st registration).

I would presume that if it's a new house, it'll probably be a red cert as the developers would have dealt with the matter at an early stage. would advise you to proceed with 1st registration. Fees for 1st registration are é85.00 but it does take a while.

It was a general explaination for a layman, there still isn't a problem with first registration, presumably the purchasing solicitor has decided that the application can be made, all that's relevant is the cost and whether the solictor is happy to certify the title (which it seems he is). I've never had a problem first registering a green cert - well except one where it was a business premises - but that's another storey

Back