First Active Managed Fund or Property Fund, UK or Ireland

B

BMRC

Re: Investment Traps to avoid

As a first time investor of a substantial lump sum on which I would like to see some growth to enable me have a nest egg when I hope to retire in 11 years time I would be interested in independent views on funds such as First Active Managed Fund or their Property Fund in Ireland or U.K. Which is the better of the two?.....Managed or Property? Basically I am prepared to put away this money for a number of years but I would like access to it in an emergency without too high of a penalty clause! Any advice would be welcome.

Why/how have you honed in on this product/provider in particular rather than any of the many other similar investment options on offer? Is saving through a pension and availing of the tax/PRSI relief benefits not an option? Have you sought independent, professional advice?

I suppose that it all depends on what sort of an asset mix (if any) you are looking for and what your attitude to risk is. The managed fund has just 11% in Property, 81 % in Equities and the balance is split between Gilts and Cash.

Investing your money in their (Friends First) Irish Property Fund 10/15/20 year ago would have been a shrewd move in comparison with the Managed Fund, but that is no indicator of what may happen in the future.

I would go for more diversification if it is your only investment but you should probably get more guidance on this.

Hi,

Just one thing to take into account if you are set on going with Friendsfirst,
First Active are not flexible on the commission fees however a indepedent broker will discuss reducing their commission once you question this. Obviously this depends how much your investing but is worth a try. I think Friendsfirst have won the Moneymate Property fund of the year 3 years running..so they must be doing something right !!

CLUBMAN,
I simply made enquiries at a First Active Office re their investment products. I will be in receipt of a state pension which will amount to half my salary when I retire. Any recommendations re good independent financial advisors in the Louth area?

CLUBMAN,
I simply made enquiries at a First Active Office re their investment products.
Not a good idea to depend on tied agents/sales people for independent, professional advice in your best interests.
Any recommendations re good independent financial advisors in the Louth area?
Not sure of any in Louth but I would suggest that you check other threads for examples of multi-agency intermediaries or authorised advisors who come recommended by others here. You could do worse than to at least check out the offerings from the likes of:

www.labrokers.ie
www.bond.ie
www.ferga.com

and there may be other similar operations. Such discount brokers can offer advice and the fact that they may not be physically in your part of the country is not necessarily a barrier to doing business. I have no vested interest in any of the above other than as a satisfied customer of www.ferga.com.

Back