Fire surrounds

Sarah

Roarr...

The feckers in the estate agents have just informed me (just after i singed the contracts mind you) that the supposed "standard fireplace" which was black marble and pine in the showhouse only comes with the black marble bit(the hearte) so i dont have a mantle piece now and it will make the whole room very strange looking!! Anyone have any suggestions where i could buy a fire surround and are they easy enough to fit in yourself and are they usually a standard size(pain in my bum measuring things now!!!) Also was informed that the electric shower in the ensuite dosent come with any doors just the shower tray and i can only afford to put down lino in the bathroom for the meantime so am quite concerened about leaks through the floor to the downstairs celing....was hoping that a rounded shower rail and heavy shower curtain would do untill we can get the money up to install a shower enclosure...anyone have any thoughts on this please!!! Never buy a new house!!!!!

Hi Sarah, that's fairly checky of the sellers I have to say. Fire surrounds just screw to the wall and are almost always standard size, so B&Q or indeed a savage yard would do the trick.

I'd invest in a shower door - depending on size they are about 300/400. Again try buy and sell for second hand ones. I know we had to throw out a perfectly good one (albeit v. small) when we put in a larger shower tray, so I'm sure you might get a perfectly acceptable second hand one from someone.

Good luck, it's all fun from here on out!

Don't trust the showhouse when measuring for a shower door. We did that and bought a corner entry door that ended up being too big (the shower tray in the actual en-suite is tiny!) so it's still sitting in the en-suite despite desperately trying to sell it for the past year!

I'd recommed spending a bit of money on the shower door, Merlyn make a really good product, Flair do a nice range too, slightly cheaper. The door is your defence against water damage. Make sure you adhere rigidly to the fitting instructions, I didn't on my first shower door and the bugger had a small leak that went undetected for some time!

Unless you have floorboards the bathroom floor should be marine plywood rather than chipboard flooring board to resist water damage. Might be worth checking this to make sure that it is the case.

Thanks a mill for the replies, im off to look at some fire surrounds later (oh the fun!!) But to save on money as the finances are fairly tight as it is we should probally be safe enough ...right???Does the same apply to possibly fitting a shower enclosure?I think your right about the shower doors coz im afraid of the water damage that might occur with a shower curtain, very costly in the long run if it does leak!... anyone know the standard size of a shower tray in an ensuite of a new house ??...so far the opinion is about 760mm! Thanks again everyone!!!

The standard "small" tray is 800x 800mm, shower doors will usually have a 25mm tolerance to allow for tiling/ finishes etc. Next size up is 900x 900mm, 1000x 1000, 800x 1200 etc.

The size of the shower tray in my showhouse was 760mm x 800mm so we bought that size door. The size of the shower tray in the actual house is 700mm x 700mm and we're having trouble finding a shower door that size for less than about €400 so we're using the main bathroom.

Rang the plumber whos putting the shower trays in the houses and he said the shower tray is 800mm. So i presume i can trust him on this and now start hunting for shower doors! Thanks to everyone who helped me out...much appriciated. So great to have people who can advise you about these things! The people who put the surround in the showhouse said the fire surrounds no matter where you buy them are usually pretty standard..maybe an inch or two out but that makes no difference... soi presume there right and i can go looking and install my own (when i find one!)

Check out [broken link removed]. com for fab fire surrounds, hes in clare i think. I know someon who bought here, very goood,

Back