Finishing work next week

J

Jeff Powell

I've been on a fixed term contract since April. I finish here the end of next week. (Yay..just before Christmas)
I've been looking for other work that i'm suited to but to no avail as of yet.
First question : How long is the actual waiting period for Jobseekers benefit
Second question : Am I entitled to claim my tax back for the year and how do i go about setting this up

Much appreicated for any help

First question : How long is the actual waiting period for Jobseekers benefit

How long you have to wait will depend on what office you make your claim
as the backlogs vary from office to office. The East coast is particularly badly affected and Galway has long delays too. Average 6 to 8 weeks wait I think.

Hi Jeff

I finished a fixed term contract on 26.9.08. I signed on for jobseekers benefit straight away and my first payment (which was backdated) was ready for collection 13.10.08 so not too bad - claim made in Dublin.

With regard to claiming tax back - I was made redundant from a job in October 2007. I simply made a phone call to the tax office in December and gave them my details. I didnt need to fill out any forms or anything and a cheque was posted out to me within a couple of days.

Hope this helps.

It is unlikely that there is a tax refund due to you as you finish work at the end of a tax year, that is assuming that you have claimed all your tax credits and been taxed on that basis.
However you should complete a form P50 (download from revenue.ie) and send to revenue together with the relevant parts of P45 to apply for any refund that may be due

Laid off 3/10/2008.
Signed on 7/10/2008-no sign of it yet. They reckon they be dealing with October cliams after xmas.

Sent in tax claim form last week-couple of hundred€'s deposited with a week.

Galway city.

Cheers for the replies
i was speaking to a woman in the tax office who said it is better to wait around 4 weeks before making a claim for my tax back as it gives time for my tax credits to build up or something

Back