Fingal CoCo allow AH owners to let hse on temporary basis - how about DCC?

BillyPiper

"Fingal County Council has adopted a policy to allow Affordable home owners to let their Affordable homes on a temporary basis."

Go to fingal . ie
Home>Housing>Loan Accounts & Loan Arrears>Let my Affordable House
I want to let my Affordable House

Is this just brand new news ? any official statement on this from Fingal ?
Is this for both social housing and affordable housing property owners ?
Available to Dublin City also ?

Peoples thoughts on this situation please ;)

Good news I think ..

Thanks,
Billy

Thats a bit of a silly question... But, lets try an answer. Because I dont want to live there anymore

Its ended up not being a nice place to live, and i dont think its fair that just because i bought it (with high hopes in mind but didnt quite work that way) that I should have to live there forever

Just re-read my answer. sounds a bit snotty. Sorry !!
Just wondering other peoples views on the rental change in policy.

Thanks

Why would somebody want to let their affordable house?

Change in circumstances: Have to move back with parents due to redundancy, but can keep house going.

Bought a small place, but unplanned pregnancy means it's too small for new family

Drug dealers in area

Wolves.

Does anybody know if Dublin City council plan to adopt a similar plan? I know somebody struggling to pay the mortgage on their affordable house. They have been trying to rent out a room with no luck but have the chance to rent out the whole house (they are going to move in with a friend). They dont want to do it on the sly so are hoping that DCC will allow it

Gazzer, did Dublin City allow your friend to rent out their apt and what if any, were the conditions?

I talked to DCC about this the other day. If your mortgage is with a bank they might let you do it, but absolutely not if they gave you the loan. They say it is their legal advice that they are prohibited from allowing you to rent it out because if your mortgage didn't get paid they might not be able to chase you up for it. However Fingal and SDCC obviously didn't get the same advice because they are not treating Council loans differently to bank loans.

Yes, all county councils are different. I'm begining to look at this country in a different light

For instance, there is a family above us on 50/50 Shared Ownership in a very spacious penthouse that spans 2 apartments below it (mine including), with a 180degree view of Dublin who have...... get this...... not only registered with the PRTB but have leased the to.........drumrolll..... you might not want to hear this.......... A single mother on the social with her boyfriend living there with a DOG that never stops barking which our agent cannot seem to do anything about.

Now that's a blood boiler!

Hi all,

Any changes in legislation regarding renting out affordable properties on Dublin City Council ?

Thank you
Billy

billy,

i've been doing it for almost 3 years now.
DCC will not give you approval but will basically tell you off the record that it can be done (wink wink),so long as the mortgage is being paid they're not going to ask any questions

Problem is trying to get a second mortgage. I had approval but because I could not get permission to rent in writing it was a no go. Its getting beyond frustrating.

Why would somebody want to let their affordable house?
When I got my AH apartment all buyers were promised that whole block would be AH only.
Soon after AH scheme was finished and all remaining units were made a SOCIAL houses.
Now I have a NEIGHBOURHOOD from hell.
Almost every week we must report to Fingal about anti social behaviour and nothing is really being done. People who do not own their places simply don't give a s****!
I just want to rent it and move out immediately.

Other option is to sell it but my place is worthless now as who would buy a place in a social housing block?

The council should buy back the affordable houses and use them for social housing as they did with the rest of the empty houses. I will be approaching tnem on this.

Back