Finding the price of property nearby

alwaysonit

What's the best way to estimate what it would have cost to acquire that property (including self builds)?
Very tedious trawling through the property price register when we don't know when or if it was sold and can only filter by county, rather than village or town.

What's the best way to estimate what it would have cost to acquire that property (including self builds)?
Very tedious trawling through the property price register when we don't know when or if it was sold and can only filter by county, rather than village or town.
You can search by town just make sure you have no spaces, I search by our town.

But overall it's useless and the auctioneers in many cases are very slow in putting up sales, I appreciate that they must wait until finally sold, but 2 cases here took 6 and 7 months to appear.

You can search by town just make sure you have no spaces, I search by our town.

But overall it's useless and the auctioneers in many cases are very slow in putting up sales, I appreciate that they must wait until finally sold, but 2 cases here took 6 and 7 months to appear.
Don't think the auctioneer puts it up. Probably linked to land registry, so depends on when solicitor registers.

https://propertypriceregisterireland.com/ is much better than the .ie site.
You can filter the County, then put in the town / village and / or street in the address section and it will throw up all sales going back to 2010 for that street, town, county.

Don't think the auctioneer puts it up. Probably linked to land registry, so depends on when solicitor registers.
Auctioneer told me that she put the information up, perhaps she meant she submitted the relevant information to another third party.
We were discussing sales in my area, and that's how it came up.

Thanks @twofor1 , that site is indeed much better!

What's the best way to estimate the cost of a new/custom built house?
I imagine they would not be shown on property price register?

What's the best way to estimate the cost of a new/custom built house?
I imagine they would not be shown on property price register?
PPR doesn't attempt to capture that kind of information.

You haven't elaborated on exactly what is driving these questions. Articles like this give a sense of the variables involved in pricing one off builds. If you are trying to price a build you would like to commission, then you'd need to provide a lot more details. If you're looking to find out what someone else paid to build a one-off house then only they will be able to tell you.

You haven't elaborated on exactly what is driving these questions.

I want to have an understanding of a rough estimate of the price of a self build of 2-3 different homes that I have in mind.
Then when browsing the second hand market, I will have a landmark to compare the price difference to the quality and suitability difference of buying or building.

I want to have an understanding of a rough estimate of the price of a self build of 2-3 different homes that I have in mind.
Then when browsing the second hand market, I will have a landmark to compare the price difference to the quality and suitability difference of buying or building.
You best bet is to find out what the cost per sq ft. Multiple by size and then get a rough cost of kitchens, sanitary, etc.

If it's a new site obviously electricity,water connections be they mains or one off for sewage and a host of other things.

The construction engineers website should provide sq foot information and local authority for other stuff.

Don't forget taxes on everything at varying rates.

Or outsource it to an architect or construction engineer who will have local knowledge of everything.

OK, that makes sense. but note that materials and trades costs are increasing rapidly, so you'd need to factor those rising costs into something that was built even 12 months ago.

Often the greatest challenge with self-building is the site and planning to go with it.

Are there any builders that have models of home they build on demand?
Say 3 different popular home types, with a fixed price, that the builder is well versed in building but can build anywhere within his region.

Are there any builders that have models of home they build on demand?
Say 3 different popular home types, with a fixed price, that the builder is well versed in building but can build anywhere within his region.
Why can't you find out by asking? Builders build, Architects design and construction engineers cost....its a fairly simple system.

If you are looking for a " one stop shop " in building you may as well look for the foundation of youth....both don't exist.

If you're considering building, do you already have a site? It's not as simple as finding a house design you like and asking a builder to build it where you want it. The location will often dictate what kind of property will be allowed by the planners, they often require that designs blend with the neighbourhood.

Many regions now have prohibitions on one-off developments with strict local-needs criteria that must be met.

No I don't own land and don't have a concrete idea of where I would be looking for land.

My idea was to understand the prices of different types of buildings, then combine it with land prices, and get what I find to be a good balance of price, quality of living and potential sell on value.

You'd probably be best to start with the area and finding out if it would be possible to get permission to build there. It is getting increasingly difficult to build one off houses with cases being reported of people in farming being refused permission on their own family land.

If you are not set on an area, you very likely will not satisfy the criteria for anywhere there is a local needs stipulation in place.

If you're considering building, do you already have a site? It's not as simple as finding a house design you like and asking a builder to build it where you want it. The location will often dictate what kind of property will be allowed by the planners, they often require that designs blend with the neighbourhood.

Many regions now have prohibitions on one-off developments with strict local-needs criteria that must be met.
I would say most areas. I've known of several refused permission on their own farm, and cases where people bought land thinking one spouse would be considered "local", only to discover later on that they were 100ft away from being considered "local".

I would say most areas. I've known of several refused permission on their own farm, and cases where people bought land thinking one spouse would be considered "local", only to discover later on that they were 100ft away from being considered "local".
Absolutely correct the definition of " local " seems to differ depending on where you are.

Looked at a site in Cork and was told you're local no problem, Solicitor almost choked with laughter saying " you're not even from there, and even real locals can't get planning "

Back