Financial Advice please!

FMS

Partners Age: 26

Gross Income: 36000
Partners Income: 32500

Type of Employment: private sector
Partners employment: trade - private sector

Expenditure pattern: In general are you spending more than you earn or are you saving: Not spending more than earning and saving a small amount regularly

Rough estimate of value of home: 500,000
Mortgage on home: self-build mortgage that will probably end up at 275,000
Mortgage provider: EBS
Type of Mortgage: variable at the moment but planning to fix when final stage payment is drawn down
Interest rate: not sure

Other borrowings: 26000 credit union loan (approx 15000 remaining to be paid)

Do you pay off your full credit card balance each month: Usually but have a balance of 900 at the moment from holiday during the summer

Savings and investments: very little. saving €500 per month in credit union but only for the past few months

Do you have a pension scheme?: no for both of us

Do you own any investment or other property?: no

Children: none

Monthly outgoings: currently mortgage payments stand at 600 but final repayment will be 1400 when house is finished, probably in feb/mar. credit union 1000, 360 to parents (both living at home until house is finished), 150 car insurance, 160 petrol, 120 gym membership, 300 credit card (will be cleared in 3 mths at this rate)

What specific question do you have or what issues are of concern to you?

As things stand we are able to manage relatively comfortably but I am concerned that we will struggle when we move into our house and have full mortgage to pay back along with credit union loan, esb bills, food, etc, etc. I am only finished college and in full time employment since Jan and that is why we have little savings. We are also hoping to get married in 09. Saving €500 per month in credit union for this and then planning to borrow a further 10-15 thou. Hoping to have current loan repaid by then. Basically want to know if we are in a terrible financial situation or am I worrying unneccessarily? Any advice would be welcome

I'm not sure you're that much different from lots of other young couples starting out, and actually you're probably in a stronger position because you estimate that you will have a healthy amount of equity in your home from the start. You mention you've only just started work, is there a likelihood that your salary will increase in the next 2-3 years, or is your career path likely to be a longer slog? Everyone feels the pinch initially with a mortgage, but if you don't go mad borrowing to furnish the house from top to bottom, new car in the driveway etc. I think you'll be ok. It's good that you're thinking now of the wedding in a couple of years time, set yourselves a realistic budget and then as soon as your paid each month make sure you put some money away for savings.

You have a big mortgage and a credit union loan and a credit card balance on which you are paying interest.

I would recommend that you stop putting €500 per month into your credit union savings account and use it to pay off the expensive credit card balance and then the credit union loan. You will be far better off when you need to pay for the wedding. You can borrow the lot then, or else defer the wedding for another year or so until your finances are under a bit more control.

Agree with hlm's overall assessment. You are doing fine. Just suffering from the normal financial indigestion after buying a first home.

brendan

Back