Filter to remove iron and magnesium from a private well

Green

Hi, I have a private well and recently had the water tested. I need a filter for iron and magnesium - anyone any idea of the costs involved - supply and fit. thanks

You can apply to your county council for a grant of up to 75% of the cost of the system you want to put in. If the iron levels are high the water system is between 1500 to 2000 euro. Then around €200 a year to service the system.

From my understanding, the grant is not means tested, but there is a cap on the amount you can get. Will mean a few pages of form filling etc & water test results before & after. I'm not too sure if you can claim for filtering only, or whether it's the full well pump & filtering system. Here might have some more information

Servicing the system can vary - the filtering will need replacing after a period of few years and the filter system needs to be re calibrated, but with the well pump system itself - just be wary of what they are charging you for - there isn't too much to do there - main thing is the pump switch itself can get dirt build up in there, but can be cleaned out or even a new pump switch for around €25... so no harm in getting specific details of what the service entails.

From memory (and it's degrading as I'm getting older) - think it was around €1200 for that part of the system I got in... I'd recommend giving some of the suppliers a call, explain the filtering you need & get an estimate of costs for full install ... don't mention grants at the time, costs vary with grants :)

Hi

Yes the is a grant availably from the council however there 2 conditions
  1. You have not received another grant in the last 7 years
  2. There is not access to main water supply in the area
The grant is a maximum of 75%, but you can also claim for the water testing so keep all receipts. They will send a council official out to inspect the work at the beginning & when work is finished. The water is then tested again

The system will be a filter with a back wash system which back washes every 3 days or so and you will have replenish the store bin with salt, cost approx €8 per bag

Total cost approx €1800 without new pump, price of pump (if you need one), would depend on size and depth of well

Regards

Thanks for all the replies - I got my pump replaced earlier so its just the filter I need. I already have the grant covered.

Back