Ferry to France in January

BusinessFailure

We're going to France for a few weeks in January, and I'm looking at the different travel options to get there. I'd prefer to bring the car and travel by ferry, but I'm wondering how rough the seas might be in January. Has anyone taken the ferry to France in winter before? What was the crossing like?

My wife gets seasick, so I'm weighing up going direct from Rosslare to Cherbourg vs. going to Hollyhead and getting the eurostar.

I'm off to Spain on Friday, Catching Brittany Ferries from Rosslare to Bilbao and am hoping for a calm crossing
This time two years ago it was from Cork to Santander and that was a little bit rough
We boarded the boat as usual for the 11pm sailing but stayed in harbour till early next morning when the seas had calmed down a bit
I'm not a great sailor but a Stugeron tablet each day while on board did the trick with regards to seasickness

Rosslare to Cherbourg is a much shorter trip and will depend on the weather but unfortunately there is no way to predict what the crossing is going to be like until hours before sailing but with the right seasickness tablets you should be okay
Going through England and the Euro tunnel is an easy trip to make but will probably double the cost compared to the Rosslare route when you factor in all costs and time wise will probably be a bit longer and then don't forget what was going on in England a few weeks ago regarding the petrol shortages

Last edited:
Back