Feedback on Firhouse area

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the Supervalu is great. Its always nice and quiet, good stock and prices very reasonable so I hope they don't change it too much. I suppose they could do with a few decent shops in the general complex and it definitely looks very grotty and rundown but I have to admit, I nearly prefer it that way because it doesn't attract big crowds and there's never any hassle parking or long queues at the checkout.

Agreed and a good alternative to rip off Spar and Superquinn!! Chinese resturant down there is very nice too!!

Hi truthseeker. I found some info on the community facility. It will be a single story, eco friendly building with a small playground and coffee shop. There is a picture of it and it looks nice, wooden fence and grass roof!

Hi truthseeker. I found some info on the community facility. It will be a single story, eco friendly building with a small playground and coffee shop. There is a picture of it and it looks nice, wooden fence and grass roof!

That sounds nice, wonder when they will build that - do you have a link?

I went down to see the baby swans at the weekend - so cute!!! I hope they clean up the lake a bit, theres a lot of stuff in there, a bicycle, traffic cones, and other rubbish.

Sorry, I don't have a link, only a leaflet. I think they are due to start building it this year. There was a sign in the park looking for submissions but the closing date was early May or something. I'm looking forward to the coffee shop I have to say.

Ah I see, it does sound really nice, be good to have a community centre in the area. I wonder how long it will take to build it etc..

A re-vamp of SuperValu? Theyve been trotting that old chesnut out complete with plans and pics for years now but nothing seems to happen, wonder if they will really do it this time?

I wish they go ahead with the revamp as the center is getting run down and more empty as shops don't renew their lease.

Looking at the Final Grant for the application shows that permission was granted in Jan 08:

Maybe something will happen soon.

Hi,

Does anyone know anything about the esate called old court mill, just off the old court road, Firhouse?

If its the one directly opposite the entrance to Ely then its not great. Its not settled in yet and there have been a number of incidents with kids from there acting the maggot locally. (nothing serious, throwing stuff at cars, chasing cars, screaming at people out walking etc..).

I was under the impression it was social housing, but I could be wrong?

The surrounding area is generally very quiet, Ive lived in Ely, its a lovely estate, and the estate next to it is pretty quiet too (Ferncourt). Allenton is on the other side, it used to be a bit rough, but has gone quiet enough in recent years, its far more mature now.

If youre thinking Firhouse/Old Court there are much nicer, more settled estates.

hi,

Check out the original part of Firhouse, near Scoil Treasa. it's far ahead of the "newer" area. Houses are bigger,

Woodlawn Park Grove, Drive & Avenue, Carriglea & Carrigwood aer the older estates.

All settled areas. Plenty of green spaces at the end of every cul de sac in these areas.

Very little through traffic. Easy access to M50
Shops nearby. Pub as well. Church for those who need to pray - (all of us at present!! :)) )

I've lived here for over 15 years and we Love the place. Work here too. Very lucky. one of the lowest priced and best "Human friendly" places in South Dublin. you never feel you're in an estate, there's so much green.

Id agree with amiafools assessment of old Firhouse. Its far superior to new Firhouse.

Ive lived in various estates in both old and new Firhouse and with the exception of Ely which I found to be very quiet and pleasant, old Firhouse has always been a more pleasant living experience.

Does anybody have any thoughts on Kilakee & Carriglea estates, they are just off the Firhouse Road, looking at a few houses there.
That seems to be an older estate. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back