Faulty Kitchen Unit

reddeagle

Hi Guys,

Recently I got a carpenter friend to help me put in my kitchen units (He didn’t charge me much). I bought the materials my self and we assembled them and put them in. I bought a work top unit of the local hardware store.

About a month later i had a problem with the work top unit (The coating on it started to bubble and rise up wards).

I went to hardware shop and they sent out the sales rep for the worktop company.

The guy came and looked at it, and started suggesting that it was something that we done wrong and that maybe water had split on it!. This is when i got annoyed. he then said sure we will give you a replacement anyways as if he was doing it out of the goodness from his heart.

Now that i have had a chance to think about it and he has admitted fault. i think i need compensation other than a replacement because I will now have to get a builder in to fit this. The same carenter doesn’t really want to do it, because as he said he did his job right and would prefer not to refit the work top again incase damage to the kitchen unit happens. This is fair enough and I agree with him.

Any thoughts from anyone?

Just playing devils advocate here, so bear with me! Was the worktop fitted as per the instruction leaflet that usually comes in the shrink wrapping? Were ALL cut edges sealed? I've fitted some of these in the past and always always take extra care to treat all exposed/ cut/ worked edges with a sealant (usually thinned down polyurethane varnish or PVA). The smallest entry point for moisture can ruin any laminated chipboard. If the bubbling you refer to has occured around the edge of the top (near the wall/ tiling) or around the sink you can be sure that moisture alone is at fault. If this is the case the worktop supplier is not at fault and you'd be best advised to take up his offer and redo the job, it's a pain but doable.

No Problems,
Sealant was used and plenty of it, near walls and sink is fine. The fault is actually the opposite side to the sink/wall. the piece that is at the out side of the work top. No moisture could get there really i think,

Will see what the sales rep says! but it is clear that its not a fitting problems on our side.

Thanks!

Carpenter said:
Just playing devils advocate here, so bear with me! Was the worktop fitted as per the instruction leaflet that usually comes in the shrink wrapping? Were ALL cut edges sealed? I've fitted some of these in the past and always always take extra care to treat all exposed/ cut/ worked edges with a sealant (usually thinned down polyurethane varnish or PVA). The smallest entry point for moisture can ruin any laminated chipboard. If the bubbling you refer to has occured around the edge of the top (near the wall/ tiling) or around the sink you can be sure that moisture alone is at fault. If this is the case the worktop supplier is not at fault and you'd be best advised to take up his offer and redo the job, it's a pain but doable.

Back