Fascia, soffit and guttecleaning - off a ladder

Carnmore

What's the quickest way to clean uPVC fascia and soffits and aluminium gutters without a pressure washer? It's covered in green algae and hasn't been done for years.

I was thinking of using Screwfix No Nonsense Degreaser.

It's a 4 bed detached and I can't spend all day doing them.

Thanks in advance.

If you can’t spend all day, and want to do it on a hurry with a ladder than by all means go ahead and risk your life. Or do it properly and safely by not doing it in a hurry. Alternative based on what you’ve posted, pay the experts who know how to do it in a hurry without risking their lives.

If you can’t spend all day, and want to do it on a hurry with a ladder than by all means go ahead and risk your life. Or do it properly and safely by not doing it in a hurry. Alternative based on what you’ve posted, pay the experts who know how to do it in a hurry without risking their lives.
Bronte probably has given the best advice on this thread. However, good advice is usually not taken by people working in the finance sector as they're used to giving it rather than taking it. Furthermore, the same people are used to going up the ladder rather than down.

For a two storey house you need a single strong ladder, not an extension ladder which will sway and bend depending on your weight and actions. You'll need somebody to support the ladder at the bottom too i.e. somebody whose attention won't be broken by a phone ringing. You can rent such ladders, but you'll have to pay for delivery too as they are too long for support on the roof of a car. You need a light bucket for whatever is in the gutters. After you've cleared the moss etc from the gutters you can start cleaning the outside of the gutters/downpipes with hot water in which you mixed with Domestos or such like. Use a sponge too. You and the supporter of the ladder may need to wear some eye protection too.

Warning:- I don't believe there is a poster on this forum who doesn't know somebody who has not had a bad accident from using a ladder. Work carefully or your career could literally be cut short through a fast descent on your ladder.

Sorry for the black humour.

Bronte probably has given the best advice on this thread. However, good advice is usually not taken by people working in the finance sector as they're used to giving it rather than taking it. Furthermore, the same people are used to going up the ladder rather than down.

For a two storey house you need a single strong ladder, not an extension ladder which will sway and bend depending on your weight and actions. You'll need somebody to support the ladder at the bottom too i.e. somebody whose attention won't be broken by a phone ringing. You can rent such ladders, but you'll have to pay for delivery too as they are too long for support on the roof of a car. You need a light bucket for whatever is in the gutters. After you've cleared the moss etc from the gutters you can start cleaning the outside of the gutters/downpipes with hot water in which you mixed with Domestos or such like. Use a sponge too. You and the supporter of the ladder may need to wear some eye protection too.

Warning:- I don't believe there is a poster on this forum who doesn't know somebody who has not had a bad accident from using a ladder. Work carefully or your career could literally be cut short through a fast descent on your ladder.

Sorry for the black humour.
Hey! I take offence at that ;) You have to know what you are good at and what you are bad at. I can tell you about pensions all day but DIY isn't my thing and I am happy to hire someone to do it. Although I do clean out my gutters every year and do it for my in laws too. Don't clean them though, just clean out the muck and leaves

Actually I don't find the pressure washer great for cleaning gutters, it gets off the top layer but I still need to go over them with a brush and as I don't do ladders the brush is at arms length from the ground, there is no doubt I'd do a better job with a bucket and sponge.

I have mainly bungalow so those are no issue but I have higher bits and for them I hire someone, much as I like to do all my own diy and never pay anyone to do anything I can do myself I draw the line at ladders and heights. If you already have the ladder and feel competent enough on one then fair enough but you definitely need someone at the bottom too. It's a simple job and a fright to have to shell out money for it but safety first!

As to what you'd use I find fairly liquid gets off all the dirt, don't think you need to go too fancy.

Something that I need to do myself this Spring but I also think a first hand recommendation might be required.

I got one if these and find it great. You are not putting pressure on gutter and way safer and easier to work from. Can't post link but if you google `

TB Davies Universal Ladder Stand Off Accessory Kit​

Back