FAS Courses/JobSeekers Benefit

mcb

Hi
I am currently working in an office in the construction industry. Due to the down turn in business I have been reduced from five days work to three days work and I am claiming job seekers benefit for the days I am not working.
Tomorrow, I will find out if I am being made redundant or not. Just considering my options. I will take redundancy if offered but I would like to update my computer skills/payroll etc and I have been looking into FAS courses for this. If i was to take on a FAS course do I still get paid my Jobseekers benefit or do I loose that if I am doing a FAS course, or do I get paid from FAS whilst I am doing one of their courses.
Any information greatly appreciated.

You get the same amount (think it has a different name, though). You will also get rent/childcare allowance (if applicable) and nominal expenses for travelling.

Staples
Have been trying to ring head office and local branches for a few days and cant get through. Will keep trying

mcb, If you decide to go on a full time FAS course you get a payment which will be the same or more than your unemployment payment. The reason I say more is because if for any reason you are presently ( whilst unemployed ) being means tested, where you are on a reduced unemployment payment, you get the full weekly amount plus travel if over a certain distance. You do not get both unemployment benefit and the FAS payment.

Staples
Have been trying to ring head office and local branches for a few days and cant get through. Will keep trying

MCB

You could also ask the Department of Social Welfare (or wherever you sign on). It's really their call, after all.