Farmers protests.

If beef is farmed anywhere it should be here and in the UK and other countries with high levels of rainfall and high levels of nitrogen in the grass. The question is should it be farmed anywhere. The population is farm animals is growing at twice the rate of humans. We as a planet simply cannot sustain our diet and the current model of farming used to support it. The land required to produce the meat eaten in the UK is twice the size of all the farm land in the UK. I would guess that the same is true here. Remember that all the feed given to cows, sheep, pigs and chickens is grown somewhere and it aint here.

If we want to eat beef we should grow all of it in intensive feed lots and ban free range beef and dairy farming as it is the most environmentally damaging form of farming. That way the land is freed up to farm carbon (grow trees) and the effluent can be properly processed instead of letting to flow into rivers. We process human waste before we release it into rivers and the sea (or at least we like to think we do) but meat farming produces 10 times as much effluent as people.

Farmers should get paid to protect the environment. At the moment they are getting paid to wreck it. That’s crazy.

Farmers have been the most vocal about allowing their produce to be priced in free market terms of supply and demand.

I have seen no evidence of that. But they certainly want to be protected from competition from New Zealand, Argentina, Brazil or anywhere else.

You are suggesting that not only does your taxes pay for the salary of a teacher, or a garda, it also subsidizes farmer incomes?

Yes me and all the other tax payers. I would love to see how many Irish farmers pay any Income tax.

Farmers should get paid to protect the environment. At the moment they are getting paid to wreck it. That’s crazy.

This sympathy for the 'poor' farmers is everywhere. Even the usually sensible Purple is at it.

People should not be paid to abstain from antisocial behaviour.

Farmers should be fined and jailed if they wreck the environment, just like any other business if it causes pollution.

The problem is that at the moment they are paid to wreck the environment. They are encouraged to do it.

Back