Farewell Nigel Farage

There was a poll last year (not sure if it was UK wide or specifically English) but more people were willing to jettison Scotland than NI if it meant getting Brexit - I found that very eyebrow raising, whatever your view on the plusses or minuses of Scottish independence.

I take it there must be dismay with Johson so, that he's not affording the Scottish people the chance to cut their own throats?, would solve a problem for the rest of the UK and the Scots would only have themselves to blame, job done.

The is certainly some disillusionment with SNP at the moment, some feeling they are not committed enough to push for the referendum, the Salmond shenannigans (true patriot that lad.....not), and the curious case of trans rights, of all things, flaring up. It probably boils down to whether those short term things trump the chance to choose your own government, or whether you'd hold your nose, vote SNP, vote Independence and then set about putting the (Scottish) world to rights when it is entirely within your power.

In governmental terms, it has to be borne in mind that some matters are "reserved matters" - i.e. under total control of WM - but that doesn't stop some from slating the SNP/Scottish Parliament over stuff not under their control.

Given the moves to strips away the power from devolved assemblies, the Scots would be wise to act quickly while they still can (& I'd go with an advisory referendum if Johnson won't oblige, sure its only advisory, what could go wrong). I find it amusing that the Scots are deemed unique, among small nations, in being incapable of managing their own affairs. Benevolent WM takes their tax revenue, gives a portion of it back, and calls it a subsidy..... some lads.....

There are factors, other than independence, which account for the SNP's failure to convince the electorate of the future of an independent Scotland.
Nicola Sturgeon's Glasgow constituency has the highest rate of child poverty in Scotland.
46 per cent of children in the First Minister's constituency are in families that are in poverty.
The SNP has been in power for 14 years and Rome has burned while Sturgeon fiddled with referendums.

www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/nicola-sturgeons-glasgow-constituency-highest-15976960?utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=sharebar

Reserved matters include:

>Benefits & Social Security
>Employment
>Equal Opportunities
>Trade and Industry

....just sayin'.......

If SNP are so bad how come they have 80% of the seats? & anyway you didn't care, you wanted them gone. Your generosity to save these people from themselves is truly remarkable.

Reserved matters include:

>Benefits & Social Security
>Employment
>Equal Opportunities
>Trade and Industry

....just sayin'.......

If SNP are so bad how come they have 80% of the seats? & anyway you didn't care, you wanted them gone. Your generosity to save these people from themselves is truly remarkable.

The UK grows about six times as many Brussels sprouts compared to the USA.
I really don't like Brussels sprouts.
The concept of being able to state facts and hold an opinion at the same time seems lost on you ...

Last edited:
My friend you have snagged yourself on the hook where all English nationalists dangle - you enjoy saying Scotland are useless spongers but yet you are in mortal fear of them leaving - when you've worked out that logic then do tell, I could speculate but I think there could be some learning in it for you.

As regards your "facts", as we've seen range from plain wrong to just misleading (possibly unintentionally, but sloppiness is just not cricket). When challenged you ended with "we had better lies". So, sonny, I hope the penny has dropped that if you're going to have "opinions" (which you are entitled to) on here then be prepared to A) stand over them with actual meaningful facts, B) get schooled, never nice but if you take it in the right spirit it's good for you, C) get a rep as troll or....even worse....an eejit. Your call.

My friend you have snagged yourself on the hook where all English nationalists dangle - you enjoy saying Scotland are useless spongers but yet you are in mortal fear of them leaving - when you've worked out that logic then do tell, I could speculate but I think there could be some learning in it for you.

As regards your "facts", as we've seen range from plain wrong to just misleading (possibly unintentionally, but sloppiness is just not cricket). When challenged you ended with "we had better lies". So, sonny, I hope the penny has dropped that if you're going to have "opinions" (which you are entitled to) on here then be prepared to A) stand over them with actual meaningful facts, B) get schooled, never nice but if you take it in the right spirit it's good for you, C) get a rep as troll or....even worse....an eejit. Your call.

What part of ' I would be quite happy if Scotland left the Union ' was confusing for you ?
I know you're trying your darndest but perhaps if you made less noise and more sense it might help.

Last edited:
Your hero Boris, who led you out of the EU like Moses in the desert, he wants to keep Scotland - he is the voice of english nationalism. What you allegedly think is of less and less interest to me. I'm tiring of this constant schooling of you, have anything at all of interest to add?

Your hero Boris, who led you out of the EU like Moses in the desert, he wants to keep Scotland - he is the voice of english nationalism. What you allegedly think is of less and less interest to me. I'm tiring of this constant schooling of you, have anything at all of interest to add?

You seem confused.
In your previous post you warn me to be prepared to be " schooled " and in this one you say you're tired of " constant schooling ".
Which do you prefer ?
And rather than think of it in terms of schooling and fighting imaginary battles why not simply engage in polite discussion with people while respecting their different viewpoint ?
I'm happy to continue debating the subject of my post but tbh it's not my bag to engage with barrack-room lawyers, particularly ones who become overtly insulting.
If it's merely the last word you want then I'm happy to grant your wish.

Last edited:
There are factors, other than independence, which account for the SNP's failure to convince the electorate of the future of an independent Scotland.
Nicola Sturgeon's Glasgow constituency has the highest rate of child poverty in Scotland.
46 per cent of children in the First Minister's constituency are in families that are in poverty.
The SNP has been in power for 14 years and Rome has burned while Sturgeon fiddled with referendums.

www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/nicola-sturgeons-glasgow-constituency-highest-15976960?utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=sharebar
The UL economy is set up to suit the financial services sector which dominates it. That in turn disproportionately benefits the are around London. Basically the UK is set up as a colony of London; it sets things up to suit itself. If Ireland hadn't won its freedom we'd be as poor as Scotland or Northern Ireland, though the North does get the "here's lots of money now please don't kill us or each other" money from the UK exchequer.
If Scotland was free they would also have the chance to build an economy that actually benefitted themselves.

The UL economy is set up to suit the financial services sector which dominates it. That in turn disproportionately benefits the are around London. Basically the UK is set up as a colony of London; it sets things up to suit itself. If Ireland hadn't won its freedom we'd be as poor as Scotland or Northern Ireland, though the North does get the "here's lots of money now please don't kill us or each other" money from the UK exchequer.
If Scotland was free they would also have the chance to build an economy that actually benefitted themselves.

Actually the fastest growing areas of the UK in terms of the economy are cities in the North and Manchester in particular.
Apart from financials the tech sector is booming - Britain is the third biggest target of tech venture capital behind the US and China.
I'm sure Scotland could survive as an independent country but at what level.
Borrowing on the money markets would be exorbitantly high without the BOE providing security.
Much as I'd like to see an independent Scotland I doubt it will happen soon - the Scots have a deserved reputation for being financially prudent and I can't see a majority taking the risk.

A big percentage increase from a very low base doesn't really tell you much.

According to the most recent figures the total value of the UK’s inwards investment stock was $2.1tn, the highest in Europe and second highest in the world.
The value of the UK’s inwards stock was also worth more than Germany and France combined.
Interestingly England, Wales and Northern Ireland, all saw an increase in the number of projects each nation attracted, whilst SNP-controlled Scotland saw a decline.

According to the most recent figures the total value of the UK’s inwards investment stock was $2.1tn, the highest in Europe and second highest in the world.
The value of the UK’s inwards stock was also worth more than Germany and France combined.
Interestingly England, Wales and Northern Ireland, all saw an increase in the number of projects each nation attracted, whilst SNP-controlled Scotland saw a decline.

I was talking about the growth in Northern England.

Also Scotland has a dual electoral system but majority of. MSPs are elected by the single seat first past the post system. Therefore the unanimous vote the SNP get is exaggerated, it's not a true reflection of Scottish opinion.

The contrast between the vaccine rollout in UK and Europe will have changed alot of minds over the last few months about the benefits of EU membership. It's a debate that's going to happen here too. I think though in Europe the pressure will be now great for reform of the eu structures. It's not something they can ignore this time. The Eu will have to go back to concentrating on economics and trade but stay out of areas where it has been very ineffective

The Eu will have to go back to concentrating on economics and trade but stay out of areas where it has been very ineffective
That's where they do concentrate and I'd argue that's where they need reform. They have an excellent record of protecting the rights of individual EU citizens and minorities. It is ironic that the things the Brexiteers seems most upset about, other than silly side issues like fishing rights, were the things that the UK brought to the EU table in the first place, such as the European Declaration on Human Rights.

Back