Laya Family Health Insurance Renewal

Molly2015

I would appreciate advice please -

2 adults 2 children - currently on Laya Flex 500 Explore - renewal premium €838.41 per adult, €224.1 per child. Just wondering if there is an alternative better value policy that I should be looking at.

Thank you!

Molly2015,

The following plan is worth considering with VHI, details as follows;
Adult Option;
1. One Plan 500; price 715 per adult; all public and private hospitals covered, cardiac and some special procedures covered in the Beacon hospital,
private hospital excess 500 x 2 max per year for all admissions, private excess 150 per day case procedure. No excess to pay in any public hospital.
[broken link removed]

Children's Option;
1. One Plan 250; price 151 per child(from 1st Oct) all public and private hospitals covered, private hospital excess 250 x 2 max per year for
all private admissions, 150 excess per private day case procedure. No excess applies in any public hospital.
[broken link removed]

Also, October 1st 2018 is the last day to claim 150 euro refund in your case, if both adults sign up to 'My VHI' and tick the box to receive all documents by email/online, and also agree to pay by either salary or direct debit. They require your IBAN code just to refund the cash into your bank account. Further details on the following link;

https://www.vhi.ie/onlineadvantage

Regards, Snowyb

Thank you so much, what would the next step up be to have private room in public hospital for both adults & children.

For children, the next step up including a private room in any public hospital is as follows;

1. One Plan; price 184pa per child; all public, private and 3 hi-tech hospitals covered; private/hi-tech hospital excess 125 per admission or
day case procedure. No excess applies in any public hospital, private room fully covered in any public hospital.
[broken link removed]

For adults, the next step up would be your current plan, Flex 500 Explore. Another plan with full cover for a private room in any public or
private hospital is as follows;

1. Control 600 Connect; price 883pa; all public, private and 3 hi-tech hospitals covered. Private/hi-tech hospital excess 600 per admission or
150 per day case procedure. No excess applies in any public hospital. Private room fully covered in a public or private hospital.
[broken link removed]

Note; A private room in a public hospital is usually kept for highly infectious conditions or for patients terminally ill. It is the exception to the rule
for routine surgery patients to be given a private room. For that reason I would re-consider the VHI options One Plan 500 and One Plan 250 or One Plan.
A semi-private room (ie a shared room with 2 beds) is fully covered on these 2 plans. Also, the public ward with multi-occupancy is also covered.

Regards, Snowyb

The one plan policies seem to be increased from 1st October -

for kids -
one plan €216.18
one plan 250 €179
flex 500 explore €201.74 (if I avail of the 10% online discount)
essential connect health €374 (pay for 1st child, 2nd free)

for adults -
one plan 500 €715
flex 500 explore €747.66 (if I avail of the 10% online discount)

Based on the above prices, do you think it is worth paying the little extra for the flex 500 explore for the adults, one plan for the kids? less excess

Thank you

Molly2015,

Sorry for the confusion re child prices,(VHI chart is eye-boggling) so to start again, the following 2 VHI plans are worth considering for the children;

1. One + Plan; price 209pa; all public, private and 3 hi-tech hospitals covered, private/hi-tech hospital excess 125 per admission or day
case procedure. No excess to pay in any public hospital.

2. One Plan 150; price 184pa; all public, private and Beacon hospital covered, private excess 150 x 2 max for all private admissions, day case
excess 150 per private procedure. No excess to pay in any public hospital.

[broken link removed]

For the adults, I would go for the VHI One Plan 500 at 715pa. For the following reasons;
1. The private hospital admission excess is capped at 500 x 2 max per year, regardless of the overall number of admissions you have in a year.
2. You can also avail of the 150 total cash refund if you both sign up to 'My Vhi' and agree to receive all documents by email and also agree to pay by salary or by direct debit.

What county are you based in at the moment and what ages are your children?

Regards, Snowyb

The children's hospitals deal with kids upto age 15+ 364 days ( up to the eve of their 16th birthday). From age 16 onwards, they are dealt
with in the adult hospitals, unless they have attended with a lifelong condition/illness for years. In which case the childrens hospital will continue
to see them until their 18th birthday.

Note; the 3 hi-tech hospitals, all based in Dublin, have childrens wards that offer a list of paediatric surgery/treatment.
This extra option is helpful if local public hospitals waiting lists are too long.
Some other private hospitals offer child based services also.

Regards, Snowyb

Back