Health Insurance Fair Deal tax relief and reassessment

Shoegirl

Hi looking for some advice please

My dad recently went into a nursing home and my mum passed away suddenly, they had a very simple will which transferred house and assets to each other in the event of bereavement. I understand he will have to be reassessed as he is now a single man, i have a couple of qs

1. I will have to help him pay some of the weekly fee as my parents opted not to put a charge on their house - I am happy to pay this charge for him and i understand I can claim tax relief on this - currently the fees are paid out of his bank account which I will in future top up - would we better to pay the fees out of our account, how would I prove to revenue I am paying the balance between 80% of his income and the 7-5% levy on assets, would a bank lodgement slip be enough proof?

2. can funeral expenses be factored in and be deducted from his savings when they look at his reassessment? bearing in mind this clause- the assessment will also look at assets that you have deprived yourself of since applying for State support or in the 5 years before the application.

thanks in advance

Yes, any reasonable expenses is allowed, if that was money gifted to a family member it would be different.

You have to notify the HSE of your Mam’s death as it is a material change in circumstances. If they reassess your Dad, enclose a copy of the invoice from the undertaker.