Fair Deal/Nursing Homes Fair Deal question regarding response from HSE following Financial Assessment.

mjbo

Hi,

Sorry if this question was previously asked but I have searched the forums and I cannot seem to locate an answer.

Received a response from HSE today following the Financial Assessment so they have advised that "Applicants assessed total weekly contribution is €1,471". Nursing home we have selected has advised their charges are:
NHSS rate is currently €1,220
Private rate is currently €1,500
(I am aware that there is a separate weekly service charge for the nursing home)

Q1 - what rate do we pay
Q2 - If we qualify for the NHSS rate does that mean there is no HSE contribution

Thanks,
M

I'm no expert, but from reading threads here, if availing of fair deal, then I'd expect you'd only need to pay nhss full price. Also depending on circumstances of assets you aren't far off the private rates so you may deem appropriate to go that route for a duration.

Q1 - what rate do we pay
If you go in under NHSS you pay €1,220 weekly in year 1, probably reducing in later years.
If you don’t avail of NHSS and go in as a private patient you pay €1,500 weekly.
Q2 - If we qualify for the NHSS rate does that mean there is no HSE contribution
Your assessed contribution is more than the NHSS rate for your chosen home, my understanding is you can still avail of the NHSS. It would mean for the first year anyway, that you would pay the full €1,220 weekly to the nursing home, with no contribution from the HSE.

If you are paying €1,220 weekly, savings will be reducing substantially. You can apply to be reassessed every year. Depending on your income / assets, there could be a contribution from the HSE after year 1 or 2.

Your assessed contribution in most cases would also drop considerably after year 3 when the family home is disregarded in the assessment, meaning you pay less and the HSE pay more.

If you go in under NHSS you pay €1,220 weekly in year 1, probably reducing in later years.
If you don’t avail of NHSS and go in as a private patient you pay €1,500 weekly.

Your assessed contribution is more than the NHSS rate for your chosen home, my understanding is you can still avail of the NHSS. It would mean for the first year anyway, that you would pay the full €1,220 weekly to the nursing home, with no contribution from the HSE.

If you are paying €1,220 weekly, savings will be reducing substantially. You can apply to be reassessed every year. Depending on your income / assets, there could be a contribution from the HSE after year 1 or 2.

Your assessed contribution in most cases would also drop considerably after year 3 when the family home is disregarded in the assessment, meaning you pay less and the HSE pay more.
Thank you for your reply and clarification.
I thought that was the case in relation to my Q1 from reading the NHSS information. And yes I do understand that the option to look for a reassessment after year 1 and 2 is available.
Thanks again.
M

Back