failing driving test,incorrect left turns

allo

My son recently failed his test due to not keeping a proper lookout when turning left in to a T junction.The problem is that he is getting conflicting advise from different(paid) qualified driving instructors.One advises look left then right and finally left again before compleating the manover.The other instructor advises the exact opposite.As a retest is on the cards shortly I would appreciate clarification of this issue

allo

Re: driving test

The most important thing to remember at a T junction is to take note as you approach it if it is a Yield sign or a STOP SIGN. If it is a stop sign remember you most stop. As you make your left turn its important you watch particularly for cyclists or motorcyclists coming up on your left. You should look left , right and just as you make your turn a quick look right - that last look to you right is very important. Good Look to your son.

Dont be to hard on those instructors that is if they are employees of a driving school. I know of one in the late ninties was working for £4 per hour and the school was charging £16.00 per hour to the client in their own car. A nice profit for the driving school.

Hi

Please edit the title of your post to make it more revelvant to your query. .

Megan said:
Dont be to hard on those instructors that is if they are employees of a driving school. I know of one in the late ninties was working for £4 per hour and the school was charging £16.00 per hour to the client in their own car. A nice profit for the driving school.

Not really relevant-the bad/wrong advice is exactly that.

allo said:
My son recently failed his test due to not keeping a proper lookout when turning left in to a T junction.The problem is that he is getting conflicting advise from different(paid) qualified driving instructors.One advises look left then right and finally left again before compleating the manover.The other instructor advises the exact opposite.As a retest is on the cards shortly I would appreciate clarification of this issue

allo

I have recently passed my driving test, and I would recommend a video that my BF bought me. It's called "how to pass your driving test". I think he got it in Easons, it's published by ISM (irish school of motoring) and not only they have good examples on what to do in diferent situations (approaching a junction, roundabout, etcetc) but they also have an example of how the exam is conducted, and I have to say that I found it really helpful (along with the driving classes with a qualified instructor, who should give you all the advide needed to pass the test)

Cati76 said:
I have recently passed my driving test, and I would recommend a video that my BF bought me. It's called "how to pass your driving test". I think he got it in Easons, it's published by ISM (irish school of motoring) and not only they have good examples on what to do in diferent situations (approaching a junction, roundabout, etcetc) but they also have an example of how the exam is conducted, and I have to say that I found it really helpful (along with the driving classes with a qualified instructor, who should give you all the advide needed to pass the test)

What is a video? :) Do they have it on dvd?

Sorry, I meant a videotape. I don't know if they have it on DVD, but I much doubt it because otherwise BF would have got it in that format.
It's a bit old, maybe 3-4 years, but still quite useful to anyone facing the driving test..I passed, and no one even though I would, as I am only driving for less that a year.

allo said:
One advises look left then right and finally left again before compleating the manover.The other instructor advises the exact opposite.

IMHO, the first adviser is wrong or is used to drive in countries where driving is on the right,

The danger is coming first from the right (i presume the test is taking place in Ireland) then from the left.

So, if turning left at the T :
you look right first, if clear, look left, if clear look right again to make sure you are still ok, and then you go

If turning right at the T:
you look right first, if clear, look left, if clear look right again to make sure you are still ok, and then you go but check left again as you progress across the first lane..

Many thanks all for replys. I could not get this information at such short notice anywhere,and to think it's a free service kept going by cooperation and goodwill Congratulations to all involved

allo

allo said:
Many thanks all for replys. I could not get this information at such short notice anywhere,and to think it's a free service kept going by cooperation and goodwill Congratulations to all involved

allo

Great to hear that AAM has been of benefit to you. Did you read and will you please act on this post?

Back