Facebook and Pubs

Kitten

Hey there,

I manage the web page and facebook page for a pub as a favour to the owner who is a friend of mine and not very pc savvy.

I find there are alot of 'younger' people looking to become 'friends' of the pub. Typically I know their parents, if they are under 15 I automatically decline but I'm torn on the 16/17 year olds.

I'm assuming there is no 'legal age' for this kindof thing?

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Kitten

I think you would be dodgy ground here as you are promoting underage drinking.

If you go onto any of the drink manufacturers websites you have to put in your age to prove you are over 18.

I'm surprised you would consider adding 16 and 17 olds

You should confirm them as facebook friends .

As far as I know it is only illegal if they are in a public house after 9pm .

Any person from age 0 -18 should be very welcome in your premises between the hours of 10.30am - 9.00pm.

If they are refused access between these hours , you are breaking the law .

They must be accompanied by a parent or guardian in a pub during those permitted times.

Marion

It's hard to decihper the ages by looking at them so I accept and then go to their profile, if they are under 16 I delete them. It is very much a family pub but obviously I don't want them open to conversations on facebook that are not age appropriate, it's what that age is is the question.

I think the real problem here is that you're using a profile (intended for personal use) as a business (which should be a 'business page', administered through a personal account). It's in breach of the FB T&Cs and could be deleted for the violation. They have recently introduced the option to convert the profile to a page though, so easily corrected.

When using a business page, you can easily restrict access to those over 18.

Very good point Satanta, I'll highlight that to my friend but I'm sure there is a cost associated with it being a business page so I have a feeling it'll continue as is. Maybe I'll hang up my boots on being the 'regulator' of who is accepted as a friend and stick to updating the website which is legit :)

...but I'm sure there is a cost associated with it being a business page so I have a feeling it'll continue as is.
Nope, it's totally free.
(The only 'potential' costs are optional, in terms of creating a custom landing page [requires some minor web dev knowledge, so you can probably handle that for free] or promoting a page with advertising [very much optional])

There are some minor differences in functionality, but no cost involved. While some differences aren't ideal (e.g. you can't randomly invite users to be friends) the vast majority are positive and will help with the marketing of the business.

Back