Face Mask or Visor or Both.

Bronco Lane

Just looking at venturing out to a restaurant shortly.

Some restaurant staff are wearing Face Masks, some are wearing Visors, some neither.

My question. Would a Visor not direct a spray downward on to a carried glass, plate of food, pint etc.

Are Face Masks preferable to a Visor?

There's no perfect solution. All people can do is reduce risk. Hand cleaning will probably be a bigger factor in food and drink provision.

I had dinner in a restaurant at the weekend, the staff were wearing visors only. I didn't see anything that would put me off going back. The waiter would practically have to be eating your food to be so close that a visor wouldn't be enough. Also I'd prefer wait staff not to wear masks as they would likely be touching them the whole time.

The waiter would practically have to be eating your food to be so close that a visor wouldn't be enough.

You haven't seen the mapping that was done on an early case of a single diner in a restaurant affecting multiple other people.

Thats a really good article, thanks for sharing.

There was another very similar one around the time showing the spread in an open plan office building. Can't find that right now, but it did point to airflow through indoor spaces as being problematic.

I had dinner in a restaurant at the weekend, the staff were wearing visors only. I didn't see anything that would put me off going back
If a person is wearing a mask and sneezes.....they can still sneeze in to their arm...... a double catch. If a person is wearing a visor they cannot do this. In fact, all the droplets are directed downwards and to the sides.

On the Nationwide programme on Friday it showed a Wicklow outlet with a staff member wearing a visor that was sticking outwards at an angle. Gaps at the sides. Nothing to catch the sneeze. It may have protected the wearer but not anyone else.

A visor is intended to protect the wearer, a face mask to protect others. If they were wearing a visor but no mask while leaning over to serve me I would not be happy.
Have some consideration for the worker wearing this stuff, a visor is easier to wear as the airflow into the lungs is not resticted but it also stops a cough or a sneeze being projected out. Remember if you go into a supermarket you only have to wear a mask for a short period and you are not doing anything too strenuous, imagine wearing one all day and doing physically demanding job. I know doctors and nurses wear this but they are in a high risk environment . Alot of people who comment never give any consideration to the people that have to work in this, remember this is for risk reduction not elimination.

Have some consideration for the worker wearing this stuff, a visor is easier to wear as the airflow into the lungs is not resticted but it also stops a cough or a sneeze being projected out
The visor protects the wearer. The cough or sneeze will be projected downwards or to the sides. You cannot sneeze in to your arm wearing a visor. This is not about providing comfort it's about protecting people.

I visited two men's barbers in the Newtown Park Avenue area of Blackrock today and both were wearing visors. I am not sure that hairdressers should be wearing these. The customer is sitting in a chair beneath the person who is standing and wearing the visor.

Any rules on what hairdressers are supposed to be wearing....mask or visor or both?

I visited two men's barbers in the Newtown Park Avenue area of Blackrock today and both were wearing visors. I am not sure that hairdressers should be wearing these. The customer is sitting in a chair beneath the person who is standing and wearing the visor.
Any rules on what hairdressers are supposed to be wearing....mask or visor or both?

I don't know if the Irish guidelines just aren't specific, aren't easy to find or are just 'suggestions'.

In the UK the guidelines specifically stated:
Hairdressers must also wear a protective visor that extends below their chin, but do not need to wear an additional face mask.

“Health officials in the canton of Graubunden (Switzerland) studying a recent outbreak among staff at a hotel found a worrying trend - all of those who were infected wore plastic face shields, while those who avoided infection wore face masks. Several employees of the hotel tested positive along with a guest. We know that the guest was served by employees with face visors”.

I think the above report tells it’s own story.

If you are a frontliner and you have a job that close contact to another person is inevitable then you should wear a face shield or visor. If not then a face mask will do.

If you are a frontliner and you have a job that close contact to another person is inevitable then you should wear a face shield or visor. If not then a face mask will do.
I disagree. You should wear a mask in preference to a face visor.

If contact is inevitable ideally you'd be wearing both.

Back