Face coverings to be mandatory in shops

Was the Centra worker not correct, though?
I dunno, what'll be different on 10th August? The announcement today was full of mights, shoulds, coulds maybes and perhapses, pretty much as expected, a ball of smoke. Pennys in Galway is getting it right, telling people not wearing masks to come back when suitably attired in line with the guidelines. Well done, two staff members at the door helping to ensure the safety of Pennys customers.

Explainer from The Journal on the new legislation - not that while these premises may not be covered by the legislation, it is possible they will still insist on use of a face covering:

• A few indoor places don’t fall under the requirement to wear coverings.
  • Post offices, credit unions and banks do not fall under the regulations. Indoor facilities that include any of these three services are also exempt from the requirement.
  • Anywhere that sells food or drinks for the principal reason of being consumed on the premises, such as restaurants, is also excluded.
  • Places that mainly provide medical, dental or a few other healthcare services do not have the requirement.

I think it is necessary to wear masks in public places. If everyone does not go to a store where the staff does not wear a mask, they will consciously wear a mask.

Explainer from The Journal on the new legislation - not that while these premises may not be covered by the legislation, it is possible they will still insist on use of a face covering:
  • Post offices, credit unions and banks do not fall under the regulations. Indoor facilities that include any of these three services are also exempt from the requirement

Does anyone know why these are exempt? Is it for security reasons or what?

Does anyone know why these are exempt? Is it for security reasons or what?

I'm afraid I haven't read the definitive reason. That's a plausible reason. Also, it may be they are not defined in law as 'retail' and the wording specifically only applied to retail.

If their asthma is that bad they can't use a cloth face covering, they shouldn't be working in a public setting in an outbreak of a severe respiratory virus.

"If a patient’s asthma is so severe that a standard cloth mask prevents them from breathing properly — which she says only includes about 1 percent of asthma patients — then they should be staying home anyway since the risk of them developing severe COVID-19 symptoms may be higher. "
- Sally Wenzel, the director of the University of Pittsburgh Asthma Institute at UPMC

If they have a respiratory condition all the more reason they should be wearing masks.

Has anyone considered the evidence/ scientific publications about the efficacy of masks as a preventative measure in the general public setting ?

Last edited:
Has anyone considered the evidence/ scientific publications about the efficacy of masks as a preventative measure in the general public setting ?

There's a pretty good distillation here on why the US CDC changed theiradvice on masks:

That's an article. Theres quite a long list of scientific peer reviewed trials in the actual medical literature i.e pub med that would say the opposite. Masks don't work. Just because WHO did a u turn doesn't make them work. They should be reserved for the hospital environment. To see them used and then littered all over town and country is another unwanted effect of bad government decision making. To see individual citizens turning on one another on here and in supermarkets over false science is also regrettable. I wont be wearing one and many people who do are wearing them entirely incorrectly. Therefore they are fooling themselves, wasting money and damaging the environment.

Last edited:
...see them used and then littered all over town and country..
agree this is disgraceful, as is all littering.

Reusable masks are easily purchased or sewn at home.

How much difference does it make? Don't know, but it doesn't cost me anything to wear it; so even if the positive impact is tiny, I'm prepared to do it.

Does it bother me to wear one in a shop or where required? No.

We've a long way to go yet on this virus.

That's an article. Theres quite a long list of scientific peer reviewed trials in the actual medical literature i.e pub med that would say the opposite. Masks don't work. Just because WHO did a u turn doesn't make them work. They should be reserved for the hospital environment. To see them used and then littered all over town and country is another unwanted effect of bad government decision making. To see individual citizens turning on one another on here and in supermarkets over false science is also regrettable. I wont be wearing one and many people who do are wearing them entirely incorrectly. Therefore they are fooling themselves, wasting money and damaging the environment.

It's an article summarising the reasons why the CDC changed their guidance on wearing masks.
They are better placed than any of us to understand the actual medical literature.
The evidence they have cited is very persuasive to me, everything from trial studies of droplets produced, to the data from different countries, to actual case studies e.g. of infected hairdressers or airline passengers.
It is the same evidence that has persuaded authorities in US states and EU countries, and the European CDC, to roll them out in more and more settings.

If you look at the figures for cases in health and nursing home settings in this country, the numbers drop dramatically in late April after their HSE changed their guidance on masks.
So clearly masks are effective in hospital and care environments.
Masks do work are suppressing transmission of the virus by droplets.
This is not just wearing of masks by health staff as PPE but wearing of masks by suspected patients to reduce the viral load they produce.

"False science" is a pretty strong claim and to be honest nothing you have quoted in support so far in any way justifies it.

The litter angle is a red herring.
There's disused tissues on the street, does that mean governments shouldn't have advised people pre-mask to cough or sneeze into tissues?

They don't work because many peer reviewed publications have proven they don't work. I can provide a link to selected publications but it would be a very long post. I see people wearing them incorrectly everywhere I go. On their foreheads, under their noses, holding or touching them with their fingers, positioned under the chin etc. Many of them look like they are already filthy. It's quite disgusting in fact. The virus particles are so tiny they can easily pass through cloth masks and surgical masks even N95 masks. They were never designed for use in general public. The ones people are using are also of poor design quality and provide no seal. I'm amazed the number of people that have bought into this bunkum when there is such a long list of peer reviewed publications out there showing they don't work. Its akin to snake oil. It is irresponsible of decision makers to suggest this policy as it gives users a false sense of security. Not to mention expense and damage to the environment.

Back