extension query

Eireog007

My wife and I are looking at a house which would require a decent extension off the back to make it a decent family sized home, my question is as it is semi detached would we be allowed to build an extension without pp where it hugs the boundary of the side of the property where the house is joined the the neighbouring property as I’ve seen planning rules that state if the extension is closer then 2m to a boundary it needs planning permission. Surely that doesn’t make sense if one side of the house is already touching that boundary as it’s semi detached.

The 2m limit only applies 'above ground floor', so you can build a single story.

Haha you’re proving very helpful to me this afternoon onion.

I thought that might be the case but it would be a big extra step to consider if I was wrong about it.

The language is confusing. Why they don't say upstairs ) downstairs is beyond me.

Is there already an extension on the neighbours house? If there is make sure to check if there's a party wall between you.

Not our house yet but from memory at the viewing no there is no extension in their side.

My wife and I are looking at a house which would require a decent extension off the back to make it a decent family sized home, my question is as it is semi detached would we be allowed to build an extension without pp where it hugs the boundary of the side of the property where the house is joined the the neighbouring property as I’ve seen planning rules that state if the extension is closer then 2m to a boundary it needs planning permission. Surely that doesn’t make sense if one side of the house is already touching that boundary as it’s semi detached.

Can you clarify if his extension is to the rear completely or if its to the side as you state "where it hugs the boundary of the side"?
40 Square Meter rule applies to the rear assuming private open space and window distances are complied with.
Bearing in mind that windows need to be 1m from the boundary at ground floor.

Back