Extension of public sector pension levy to pensions ???

Brianne

Just a query; was wondering does anyone have any thoughts on the likelihood that the levy might be extended to new pensioners? I have heard concern about this and said concern is prompting many to think of leaving early which will of course bring about half salaries and reduction in numbers.Any thoughts?? Would it be a bridge too far???

The case for the levy is that it helps to pay for the pension; it is not consistent to apply it to the pension itself (any more than pensioners make contributions to the scheme once they have retired). How could a levy be applied to new pensioners, and not to existing pensioners?

I think a political choice was made not to hit pensioners in the pocket. For now. Over the next couple of years, unless things take a surprising turn for the better, further steps will have to be taken to bring our budget closer to balancing. I don't think that I, as a public service pensioner, will escape scot-free (isn't it a nice novelty to use that expression in its literal sense?)

Back