Extending Wi-Fi coverage to room at end of garden

Salvadore

Like a lot of houses, my broadband router is situated in the front room. It gives pretty good coverage throughout the house.

Ideally, I’d like to extend coverage to a home office at the bottom of the garden- distance about 60 feet.

I’ve been researching extenders, mesh systems etc but am more confused than ever.

Any advice on what would best suit my circumstances?

Thanks in advance.

A cable from the house to the cabin would be ideal

Other than that a mesh system might work, but 60ft is maybe a bit too far

If the cabin got electricity maybe you could use an electiricty circuit extender

Thanks for the reply.

The cabin is connected to the house by electric, coaxial and phone cable running underground but not by cat 5/6.

Another cable would need to run overground and that’s no really feasible

I'd start with a pair of ethernet-over-power adapters. You plug one in in the house and connect a network cable to it (so probably needs to go near your router) and the other in in your outside room where you can either plug in another network cable or some offer Wifi right from the adapter (like this one https://www.currys.ie/ieen/computin...adapter-kit-av600-twin-pack-10153178-pdt.html). They can be a bit prone to long distances or going between electric circuits, but definitely worth a try for the sake of €50.

You could also use a point-to-point wireless link for much cheaper than you'd think, for example two of these would easily cover the distance - . Obviously a little more involved to install, but easier than digging up the garden perhaps. You can actually start with one and see if it acting as an outdoor access point is sufficient to cover the room in the garden, if not (it might struggle to get through the walls) then you'd stick a second one at the outdoor room to receive the signal cleanly and bring it inside to a regular wireless access point.

Last edited:
Have a look at "internet over power" adaptors, as jpd said.
They consist of two adaptors, one plugs into a socket near the router, with a cat5 cable plugged into it, the other plugs into a socket in the shed, with a cat5 coming out of it (or sometimes wifi. The internet data is sent down the existing power cables.
They are pretty cheap, and can work well. One caveat is that if the socket pair go through a rcd in the fusebox, it can degrade the signal.
Worth a try, for the reasonable price

Have a look at "internet over power" adaptors, as jpd said.
They consist of two adaptors, one plugs into a socket near the router, with a cat5 cable plugged into it, the other plugs into a socket in the shed, with a cat5 coming out of it (or sometimes wifi. The internet data is sent down the existing power cables.

I used this set-up once over about eight metres of coaxial cable. Bandwidth was fine but latency awful. So fine for video streaming but useless for something like work calls.

In the end I just shelled out for a 4G box with a SIM in it. Latency and upload are very good so really well suited for video calls. It's situated near a window so reception fine, but it doesn't suit everywhere.

What sort of cable is used for your telephone line ?

You might be able to run ethernet over it

I use two RE305s to send wifi about 100 metres to another house where my parents live. One RE305 is upstairs in the house with the router and pointed at the second house. The second house has an RE305 in a front window that provides internet to the rest of the house. The second house has smart bulbs and two security cameras in it. I've never tried Netflix though....

I swear by the Devolo ethernet over power line adaptors.
Especially the Magic1/2 models.
More expensive and bulkier than others but well worth the price in my opinion.

Back