exgirlfriend hasnt paid joint mortgage for 8 months. What are my options?

Q

Qtpie44L

My exgirlfriend and I jointly own a townhouse property. When I moved out, she agreed to continue to live there and pay mortgage on her own. A few months ago, a credit alert informed me that the mortgage was in default. I contacted her and initially she lied and said she knew nothing about the matter and that it must be an oversight. I contacted the mortgage co. and discovered that it hadn't been paid for over 8 months and the house was going into foreclosure. To prevent the foreclosure, she supposedly received a loan from her father to repay the back payments , plus the preforeclosure fees. Then she was going to refi without my name and evreything would be up to date. Well today I received another alert. i contacted mortgage co. and turns out , she only paid a partial payment and has avoided contact with them for a month. They sent back her payment, as she did not follow through with the program they had discussed to get the mortgage up to date.What can I do? I was being compassionate&kind to allow her to keep the house and not sell it. However,she is ruining my credit and the house is close to foreclosure any day now? I want to sell it, but don't have the money to pay her missed payments plus fees.I want my name off of the mortgage and need my credit report fixed. I am getting married and really do not have the money at this time to take over the solely take over the mortgage&pay the back fees or to take her to court. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.Thank you for your time.

First step- contact the bank and see if they will agree to a payment break now to allow you both to negotiate this. Both of your consents will be needed. Then you really need to contact a solicitor and discuss initiating partition proceedings now. First step is to send her a solicitors letter asking her to voluntarily remortgage and take your name off ( and possibly pay you? Is there to be an equity division?), next step unless she responds immediately is to issue proceedings.

Back