Executors taking advantage

denby11

My aunt died about two years ago and left no will.She had no kids and her husband died about twenty years ago.She lived alone on a big enough farm and more or less ran the farm by herself with a small bit of help from her nephews.
At the time of her death my three uncles(her three brothers who lived beside her) took over the running of the farm and appointed themselves as executors.After a couple of weeks one uncle(paul not real name) took over the farm by himself and bought the stock at a price he thought was fair!
My mum recieved a letter showing my aunts affairs from her solicitor(or should i say a solicitor my uncles picked,they didnt want her solicitor as he wanted to do things by the law and blamed him for the fact there was no will)This letter lists all assets and expenses in her estate.
The land was valued shortly after her death,it values the land at about 3.5k per acre which seems low.My uncle Paul feel this was fair price at the time but might have gone up a small bit in the mean time.Our view is that he showed the auctioneer the bad land and got him to value the whole lot at this value.
On the list of expences it looks like they have listed monies owed at time of death and funeral expenses but also there seems to be extra expenses included from his time running the farm including a few that look suspicious,but there is no income from his time in running the farm except a single farm payment for 2011 and the money he paid for the stock(no rent)
Is he entitled to do this?Our feeling is he wants to buy land at low price and give to his good for nothing son.The fact he is farming the land does this give him any preferencial rights over his siblings,the other executors wont stand up to him.Any advice for my mother?Can she insist that the land goes on the market if he is not willing to pay fair price?

As the saying goes, ' Where's a will, there's a relative' So in this case, 'Where's there is no will, there's lots of relatives'.

I am certainly no expert in this kind of thing, I do believe that your mother should start calling the shots and do the right thing in fairness to your late aunty. But be advised, this has the potential to cause a major split in your mother's family.

Back