Executor paying high low usage electricity charges with Electric Ireland in vacant property.

Up Rovers

In my capacity as an Executor of a now vacant relative's property I am amazed at the charges that Electric Ireland are putting through for the low usage.

Since last February when the person died I have paid close to a couple of hundred for these charges and find it quite amazing that they are allowed to get away with this. The most recent bill was reassessed after 3 estimated bills and bill was for nearly €80.00. There is no one in the house and the bills show a very small number of units used.

Is this the norm?

This leads me on to think that these must be the type of charges that people are paying on holiday homes and it must work out expensive over the winter especially with the price increases that we are all being warned are on the way.

Last edited:
sounds high. According to this, the low usage charge should only be about a fiver higher than the normal charge. .
Are you sure you are not leaking power somewhere? The next time you visit you should watch the meter and see if its moving.

Thanks for replies.

Just gave them a call and according to them it is correct.

59 units used from February to September cost €9.83 and Low Usage charge alone was €105.08. PSO was €59.55 and €21.67 VAT.

I think the cost of standing charges is often not realised.

The basic standing charge is around 42 cent a day, an additional low usage standing charge is 8 cent a day, PSO levy is 21 cent a day, add VAT @ 13.5% and you are up to 80 cent a day x 61 days makes the typical bill over €49 before any usage.

sounds about right for 6/7 months.
according to this the low usage standing charge is 180 or 234 per year, depending if its rural or urban

Thanks for that. It does appear quite a hefty charge. As mentioned earlier expensive on holiday homes.

Back