Key Post Executor doing absolutely nothing

Did you look up the asking price of the house on Daft or in the auctioneer's window. A friendly chat with the auctioneer might elicit a close enough figure for the house sale price.

Thank you for the responses.

Mercman - have put in a call to the Law Society and am following procedure for filing a complaint.

Lightswitch - We are not happy at what the house was sold for. We were initially consulted as to what the price should be set at, then it remained on the market for some time and price drops were made without any consultation with us. We were not told when it was sold, we only found out when one of us drove past and noticed the Sale Agreed sign was gone and renovation works were being carried out. Upon investigation it turned out the sale price was over 50k less than last advertised price, which had been dropped a few times without any consultation with us.

Bar the initial consultation with us about setting the price of the house we have had virtually zero communication during the past 3 years - unless one of us phoned the executors solicitor ourselves to ask questions.

Is the sale price comparable to other houses in the locality? There is hardly a house in Ireland that hasn't had to reduce it's asking price many times in the last year or so.

Is the sale price comparable to other houses in the locality? There is hardly a house in Ireland that hasn't had to reduce it's asking price many times in the last year or so.

No it was lower than other asking prices (no visibility of actual sale prices), and I agree, Ive no issue at all with dropping price to reflect market, but I do have an issue with nothing at all being communicated to me. I also have an issue with the amount of initial delay - it was 20 months after my parents deaths before it was put on the market at all.

Without imposing on this thread, there really is a requirement for people to be alerted to problems which could and might occur as benficiaries or to persons writing a Will.

In the same manner as for people making Investments, a defined route and mechanism should be set to avoid further problems with Executors, Solicitors, Siblings, Banks etc. etc.

Mods take note

I agree mercman, I have learned a lot from this experience.

I feel as though I have had no proper way of expressing my dissatisfaction at the way this process has been handled. It cost me money to get things moving in the first place and delay after delay has happened for no good reason bar the personal feelings of the executor.

I think the whole process is flawed in a number of areas tbh.

I took the advice here and became a squeaky wheel, including mentioning that I had contacted the Law Society to ask about my rights in this situation.

In this mornings phonecall I was informed by the secretary that she had just finished typing a letter to me and a cheque was attached.

I do not know if the cheque is for the full amount yet - but if not I will continue to squeak aloud.

Finally an end is in sight, Im pretty astounded at the lengths Ive had to go to in the past 3 years in order to have this estate dealt with!!

Just a final update and thanks to all who offered me great advice on this thread.

Received 1st distribution cheque in Monday mornings post, for roughly 2/3rds of full amount.
Received 2nd distribution cheque in Wednesday mornings post, for almost total outstanding amount - small amount left to come (around 2%).

Also received copy of executors accounts. Am astounded at what the executors solicitor charged for the work (6.25% of the entire estate). Am also astounded at what the executor considered allowable expenses for himself - for example, he charged us for travel to and from his own brothers funeral (flights, taxis, meals) despite the fact he didnt even take up his executors duties for over 10 months after the funeral!!

However, I am really just glad the whole thing is over.

Thanks to all.

You might be better off starting a New Thread for yourself to seek advice about this one. Good luck with it in any case.

Back