Executive officer civil service

Society

Husband has been offered EO in civil service in a quango. Salary is abysmal....but does anyone know is it difficult to get promotion/politics etc at play and what the conditions of work are like re: flextime/parental leave etc.

The answers to your questions may vary substantially depending on what dept / quango it is.

There should be plenty of opportunities for promotion within a dept or interdepartmentally, but again that may vary according to his/your geographical constraints. The process is impartial but like any recruitment process, does not necessarily always promote the best people. And while there will be opportunities there’ll also be plenty of competition. So don’t take it if you’re banking on a very quick progression, it doesn’t work that way.

It depends hugely on the area.

Promotion opportunities are probably better if there are more senior managers around, and is more policy focussed.

If it's something with a lot of process then there is generally less scope to move up.

If any of mine were starting in the Public Service I think the grade of Executive Officer is not a bad place to start. In your first year you earn just under €27,000 rising each year for about 14 years to earn around €47,000. The Executive Officer grade is a good launching pad for anybody entering the Public Service.Internal promotion to EO is available to lower grades and believe me they fight tooth and nail for that promotion.

I would love to advise that all promotions are above board and based on equal competitions. But, from some of the promotions I witnessed during my working life (I retired over sixteen months ago) I could not say that everything was equal. That is my opinion. Have I seen political interference on promotions? - Yes. Have I seen the "white haired" one being promoted? - Yes. Flexi-time, Parental Leave etc are usually given as in other grades.

But, the one thing it's worth becoming an Executive Officer is:- You are in a position to get things done provided you have common sense and appreciate those working with you, particularly the lower grades.

Last edited:
From what I hear you need to be doing courses and upskilling to be considered for promotion and yes I believe local influence has a lot to do with it. If you work in a big department you are more likely to move up the ladder.

Back