"Ex works" what does it really mean

Squonk

I've never bought a new car in my life and I am examining the options. I see a new Octavia retailing for €21k ex-works. I presume this means I need to pay extra for transportation etc? Is this extra amount to cover such "works" standard for all garages? How much would I expect to be paying? - Thanks.

As far as I understand it the ex-works concept can be a means for the dealer to regain some of what you have bargained him down. It would therefore be wise to get details of the additional costs involved before starting to haggle.

Always haggle with a dealer.

You could find for example that the price is €21K plus €750 costs. However, if you were to bargain him down to €20.5K, you might find that the costs had creeped up to €1K instead. If you establish the costs in advance this shouldn't happen.

z

Ex works does not include delivery charges, typically €500-€750.

Ex works does not include delivery charges, typically €500-€750.
I thought it does....I got a price for a Corolla Verso the other day for €28635 ex works....with metallic (€500) & delivery & related charges amount to another €500

"Ex. works" also does not include number plates, these and delivery etc are sometimes referred to as the "dealer pack". If you establish the ex works price on the car you want from the web it's a simple matter to price around various delaers and see what the best deal is, least that's what I did. Obviously this is a little more difficult if you are also trading in a car as opposed to a straight deal.

Back