Ex wont sell house

redbhoy

Im having difficulty with my ex-girlfriend at present in relation to our house. Since we've split up (20 months) the house has supposed to have been sold numerous times. Im fed up at this stage and have to get solicitors involved. The solicitor Im using is trying to talk her into not going to court but she seems adamant in taking it that far (possibly due to the fact she'd like a free lunch from the corporation and thinks that they'll ignore her if she sells without a fight).

Can anyone advise as to what costs are involved in a case such as this? Or maybe offer any advice.
The house is in both our names.

Thanks

I had a very similar case - the only sensible thing to do was to sell the house ( although of course I do not know if this is the case here). The ex wanted to buy out but at considerably less than market value. We didn't want to sell to her at that, issued Partition proceedings in the Circuit Court and it went all the way, 2 years, to the day - I do not think the ex believed that we would do this. The case was settled, the Court ordered the sale ( now by agreement) , there was a deal done on costs ( coming out of the sale proceeds) but it still cost a total of nearly 20K. Mind you, while we were fighting, house values did go up so there was a bit of swings and roundabouts. There is a huge cost in emotional damage done. But if two people cannot themselves settle the issues, if one party resolutely will not compromise or mediate, then I firmly believe in Court proceedings. The cases that end up costing are the ones that (a) should have been settled but (b) would never have settled without being landed on the steps of the Court. Harsh but true.

mf

Thanks MF1.
Selling the house is the best thing to do but she wants to but me out for around 40K whereas there's over 120K equity in the house. Unfortunately for her shes proven to be untrustworthy in money matters and if i was to sell to her at 40K she'd probably sell it on the next day at a subsatantial profit. I think shes being unreasonable as it was mainly my money which got us on the property ladder in the first place (i was earning twice what she was).
Can you tell me if the 20K costs was between you and your ex or just for you alone. And did the court say that the costs had to come out of the sale of the house?
Thanks again.

Each side paid own costs - a Court might have ordered her to pay all costs. The Court won't order the costs to be paid out of sale proceeds - it will order costs to one or other or neither and logically the money to discharge costs will be coming out of their share of sale proceeds. 20K for both - approx 10K each. Realistically, costs should be higher, its a lot of trouble, effort and work to get these cases on for hearing - its not realistic for an unreasonable person to put people to so much trouble and not see that they must then pay for that privilege.

mf

Back