Ex partner wants to sell house openly rather than to me

HIDI

Would be grateful for any advice, recently got loan approval to buy ex-partner out of home he will not agree to let me buy his share of house, he was not happy with valuation done on property and wants house to put on the market, I really want to keep the house I cant understand why he wont take my offer, I am currently living in the house and paying full mortgage on my own.Just the state the market is in at the moment there is already a house for sale on our road for past year and a half, Can I refuse for house to go on the market? Someone mentioned to me let it go to court heard judge usually rules house to be sold?

Re: have mortgage wont agree to let me buy his share

You can put it on the market and you can match the best price offered?

Have you an agreement in place? What does it say about splitting up?

Brendan

If he gets a valuation done and you can afford to pay the average figure, put that in a letter to him, send it by registered post, keep a copy of the letter, keep the registered post slip.

If it was to go to court you would possibly get your costs even if the judge oredered the house to be sold, however, as your legal costs would be substantial it is neither parties interests to go that was.

You could always get someone to put in an offer in trust for you but again even the estate agents fees incurred could be saved if yer man saw sense.

to answer the question, of course you can refuse to put it on the market but then you will ultimately have a resolution imposed by a judge.

we have no agreement in place. will I have to pay stamp duty if I put on market and bid on the property? probably a silly question.

Have you considered proposing getting 3 valuations - one you arrange, one he arranges and one you arrange between you, then averaging the 3?

Were you married? Any children? if no to both I would imagine you have at best a 50/50 chance in court.

Also when you do finally sort it, make sure you take (some) account of the additional mortgage payments you have made - in particular the capital repayment component.

Another fine mess :) Don't let it get you down. Obviously your ex would want a quick sale and on the info already presented, there is a house down the road for sale for a year and a half. Have you not got a common denominator friend to mediate between the two of you before any capital in the property goes to paying legal fees ?

I recall reading past posts. Did you ever go to a Solicitor as this is getting a bit messy for my liking. Relationships fall apart all the time. However in no way should a winner be determined by threats, lies or deceit. Its down to the fairness and the law. Will he buy your share of the house ?? Then you buy his if you really want to but finality from this relationship must come ASAP.

Would be grateful for any advice, recently got loan approval to buy ex-partner out of home he will not agree to let me buy his share of house
Just to clarify - is this an ex partner or an ex spouse?

thanks for all your replies, he is ex partner not spouse, I have one child but he is not his dad, he choose to walk away from relationship to enter another one, so hopefully this will help if ends up in court, I really dont want to go down that road though, he told me he wants the house thats why he wont agree to me taking it on, just he has bad credit rating no way he will get the loan approval, Yes with solictors at the moment feel we are getting no where as he wont agree to anything, I cant believe his solictor will not advise him to accept my offer,

Hidi-- Right so - Put the property on the market and buy it. Remember you will be paying for 50% (less the Capital part of the mortgage you have been paying and less all the other matters he owes you).

I can now see it from his point of view. He wants to buy you out. It's his only way of owning a property. He will presumably try everything to get the house and if he can't buy it, to maintain ownership for as long as possible.

It's very messy without an agreement in place.

I think that you have to be as reasonable as possible and put it all down in writing. One way of resolving an issue like this is for one person to make an offer. The other has the option of accepting that offer and selling the house or matching the offer and buying the house.

Getting a friend to mediate is a good idea. But if the mediation won't result in a postive outcome for him, I am afraid, it will have to be the legal route.

Brendan

Back